Eric R.

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
well, I’ve got my wheels off of my r3t for a tire change, and I’ve been polishing the hell out of them with mother’s aluminum polish. It’s a lot easier with the wheel on my work bench, that’s for sure.
My question is has anyone ever used something like Krylon clear spray to give the wheel a protective coating, similar to a factory clear coat? My last bike, a vn 1700 Nomad had clear coated wheels that were much easier to maintain than my rockets wheels.
I really don’t want to strip everything off for a powder coat job. That’s going a bit far for my comfort level.
Thanks Eric

well, I’ve got my wheels off of my r3t for a tire change, and I’ve been polishing the hell out of them with mother’s aluminum polish. It’s a lot easier with the wheel on my work bench, that’s for sure.
My question is has anyone ever used something like Krylon clear spray to give the wheel a protective coating, similar to a factory clear coat? My last bike, a vn 1700 Nomad had clear coated wheels that were much easier to maintain than my rockets wheels.
I really don’t want to strip everything off for a powder coat job. That’s going a bit far for my comfort level.
Thanks Eric

I’ve been curious about about this stuff. You want to be a test subject?

AlumaClear®, 16oz Spray Can (11oz clear-5oz propellant)

With all these products it's down to the preparation. Get that right and it will look good for years but skimp on the prep work and it will look scabby in a matter of months. Got a friend who runs his own body work place and this is his advice. do it right and it looks right. do it wrong and you suffer the consequences! I've mailed him about this specific product to see if he has had dealings or experience with it. I will update as soon as I know.

Thanks Eric

I have found four ought steel wool to be the best for initial cleaning and then your favorite polish.
I've tried many brands & all produce about the same results.

Back