Polishing Wheels

I wonder is they could match the super fast and sexy blue of my bike? :inlove:inlove
If you pay them danger money: maybe!. But Ceramic coating sounds like a really fun idea to try on wheels. I have done guns in the past and also did my Guzzi discs (not the bit the pads bite). You do need to really bake ceramic though. Remove bearings or replace after.

If your desire is to get them to look like polished chrome, then you will be disappointed because the high magnesium content of the cast alloy prevents such a look. However, you can come close if you use 500-grit wet-or-dry sandpaper to remove all traces of the machining tool marks, then polish like mad. Coat with high quality paste wax; it will make the inevitable repolishing much easier. Caswell Plating had a ton of excellent low cost tools and supplies...I highly recommend them as a source.
Of course, doing this with the wheel off and stripped of brake rotor disc makes it a tolerable job. Run a metric tap in all the rotor disc mounting screw holes to remove the old Loctite. Reinstall with blue or purple medium strength Loctite.

If your desire is to get them to look like polished chrome, then you will be disappointed because the high magnesium content of the cast alloy prevents such a look. However, you can come close if you use 500-grit wet-or-dry sandpaper to remove all traces of the machining tool marks, then polish like mad. Coat with high quality paste wax; it will make the inevitable repolishing much easier. Caswell Plating had a ton of excellent low cost tools and supplies...I highly recommend them as a source.
Of course, doing this with the wheel off and stripped of brake rotor disc makes it a tolerable job. Run a metric tap in all the rotor disc mounting screw holes to remove the old Loctite. Reinstall with blue or purple medium strength Loctite.

Agreed, getting aluminum to look like chrome is about impossible, not gonna happen.

Back in my Harley Shovelhead days I'd use rubbing compound on the aluminum, same stuff used on paint that needs cleaning up. Last summer I helped a bud with his ride. I used Wizards Turbo Cut on a wheel chucked into a cordless 90 degree drill. It worked like a champ. Then used Raceglaze sealant/polish on the parts. Results were very good, way better than either of us expected. I actually impressed myself :thumbsup:

I understand. I’m just looking to bring the wheel back to a new looking aluminum wheel then seal and make future buildup easier to remove. It’s more like a restoration. I don’t need a chrome shine.

E9023988-BA5E-487F-A910-DFE22B520246.jpeg

1E25B7ED-D964-4A5D-91C9-18B9D81DD749.jpeg

I have them finished and back on the bike. Whew what a job. It took about three hours per wheel. The rear was so bad that I started with 800 grit paper but it was not removing the defects that I was trying to remove. I had to go back to 220 paper. Then 320, 400, 800, 1200 and finishing with a polishing compound and White Diamond polish on a rotary sponge on a drill. Looks good now.

Back