Close Calls - Stupid on 4 Wheels

This reminds me of the 2003 to 2008 time frame when we lived in Hickory, NC. We were amazed at the high # of traffic encounters where cars came around blind mountain curves in the middle of the road. I don't mean in the middle of their lane but straddling the center line of the road. We also learned what a "liquor sickle" is. DUI drivers are only allowed to ride them, mopeds, if they have jobs they need to get to, otherwise they hoof it, thumb it or get chauffeured.

This reminds me of the 2003 to 2008 time frame when we lived in Hickory, NC. We were amazed at the high # of traffic encounters where cars came around blind mountain curves in the middle of the road. I don't mean in the middle of their lane but straddling the center line of the road. We also learned what a "liquor sickle" is. DUI drivers are only allowed to ride them, mopeds, if they have jobs they need to get to, otherwise they hoof it, thumb it or get chauffeured.

Yep- Hickory is just down the road from me. I didn't realize liquor sickles were unique to our area. It's what we still call them here.

I've been thinking about this one a lot lately- not sure everyone does and maybe if you live where it's mostly straight or have wide sweepers it's not so much of an issue.

But here in twisty land it's an important distinction. So, why are right hand turns more dangerous? I can think of four reasons...

1) The same turn is inherently sharper for you than it is for oncoming traffic, as you're on the inside.

2) Your site distance is more limited because it is sharper. This is especially true in tight twisties with vegetation and/or a mountainside blocking your view through the turn.

3) Oncoming traffic uses left turns to "cut the corner." I followed two cars today that routinely straddled the center line whenever they were coming into a left turn. Only when they saw oncoming traffic did they get over, and not always all the way!

4) There's a fourth reason and it escapes me. I'll come back to it. Someone else fill it in....

I guess it may have been that, as @1olbull said, by swinging wide for a better view and angle into the turn it puts you closer to the centerline which, apparently, is not universally accepted as a division between opposing traffic.
Well said, Amigo!
BTW - You gotta get out more!
Your area traveled is woefully limited. o_O

In Missouri, there's a myth that you can ride a <50cc scooter without a license, making scooter shops the first stop for those with fresh DUIs. It's completely false. The only thing you can ride under an administrative suspension is a passenger seat or a bicycle. And if you're a repeat offender, or get caught riding a bicycle drunk, you can be barred from that.

If it weren't for the potential for collateral damage, I would be all for a law only allowing DUIers to operate >100hp sport bikes.

Back