Traded in my '17 Roadster for the '20 GT

They have the same max torque, but the new one is lighter, so it's going to feel faster. And I think it makes its torque over a broader curve, so there might a lot of the rpm range where it is actually making more torque before they both peak. Would have to see dyno graphs of both.

Oh yes, the weight makes a difference. I'm just thinking of how much power my 2017 could have with the price difference! haha!

It’s fun watching the old guard trying their best to hang on to the old bikes and denying the lust for the new ones.:roll::roll:

Remember you won’t get squat for selling an older model so don’t. Just add a new one and bite the bullet. Are you worried about which one will be be your favorite?:rolleyes: Would you feel guilty if the old girl got left in the garage while cheating on her with the new lady?:laugh::laugh:

I’ve done this very thing. My first Indian motorcycle was a lovely custom blue and white Vintage. I still have her but she is the least ridden bike now days. I’m keeping it because I still love her but she has to share me with the others . She ain’t fast but she is cool. Each bike has a unique personality and has its own role.:thumbsup:

It’s fun watching the old guard trying their best to hang on to the old bikes and denying the lust for the new ones.:roll::roll:

No plans for me to give up my Roadster! Sadly, the new R3 just doesn't do it for me. It lost the essence of what the Rocket III was.
I'm sure it's a blast to ride being smaller, lighter and with all the whiz-bang technology. I love the OG Rocket because it's a big engine in a bike, and not much else. YMMV

exactly. It is difficult to quantify without actually measuring - - All I can say is my butt-dyno agrees with this premise, which is also directly reflected in the permanent sh*t-eating grin on my face. YMMV.

When I ride down to Cali this spring/summer, would you hook up and run me so I can see how my modified (exhaust/intake), but stock engine R3R compares?

2.7 seconds, (similar VMAX1700 strangely) I reckon new R3 should be capable of 200HP as long as the transmission can handle it.
Given how restricted the original R3 was, its not beyond reason that a simple change in fueling/Air/exhaust would achieve +200HP on the new R3

how much wider are the new R3 headers?

Given the fact I would not sell my classic. If i was to look for another bike in the current R3 format it would probably be a Touno, S1000R, Super duke which will destroy any rocket in the twisties

Last edited:
Back