Traded in my '17 Roadster for the '20 GT

I'm a torque hound and really loved my 17 Roadster, but this new 20 is a torque beast!

Some initial thoughts:
This is 100% new bike. Almost nothing comes over from the old model. It is lower, narrower, shorter and lighter than its predecessor. Since this is my daily commuter bike, it is much easier to flick and weave through traffic.

I'm still getting used to the hydraulic clutch and coordinated breaks, but I can see why Triumph have made these improvements.

My favorite part so far? The transmission. The old tranny was like a tractor down-shifting into first. It was about the only thing on my old bike I didn't care for. The new one is so refined by comparison. It effortlessly shifts between gears.

New_Jeb2.jpg
Silver and Grey (matches my beard)
Congrats! I like the GT, too. I hope the transmissions are more reliable than the previous models.

No plans for me to give up my Roadster! Sadly, the new R3 just doesn't do it for me. It lost the essence of what the Rocket III was.
I'm sure it's a blast to ride being smaller, lighter and with all the whiz-bang technology. I love the OG Rocket because it's a big engine in a bike, and not much else. YMMV
I like the GT, but I'll just work with my '14 Roadster. It has 230HP and I dressed it out to make it more like a touring. One of the nice things is I have a hitch to pull my popup camper. I don't think the new Rocket could accept a hitch. One of the bad things is I have to rebuild my transmission, a fairly common issue with the older rockets.

The power band is wider on the GT than my Roadster - and redline is higher (I think - I'm still in the break-in oil so no testing that yet). There are three drive modes which effect throttle mapping (four if you count the customized "driver" mode). Sport mode is very aggressive versus "Road" mode. The GT is also lighter, so the power feels different -- you can tell there is less mass to get moving. The Roadster seemed more torque-y in the lower revs than the GT, but that could just be the mass difference between the bikes. The GT has 6 gears versus 5 on the Roadster, so one would assume that the gears are not as tall on the GT? I don't know without doing a drive ratio comparison.
HEY can you imagine a new GT with 250+HP WOW what a nice beast thats going to be WOW WOW WOW

I'm a torque hound and really loved my 17 Roadster, but this new 20 is a torque beast!

Some initial thoughts:
This is 100% new bike. Almost nothing comes over from the old model. It is lower, narrower, shorter and lighter than its predecessor. Since this is my daily commuter bike, it is much easier to flick and weave through traffic.

I'm still getting used to the hydraulic clutch and coordinated breaks, but I can see why Triumph have made these improvements.

My favorite part so far? The transmission. The old tranny was like a tractor down-shifting into first. It was about the only thing on my old bike I didn't care for. The new one is so refined by comparison. It effortlessly shifts between gears.

New_Jeb2.jpg
Silver and Grey (matches my beard)

I wana copy of that! :cool:

Well test ride done and I’m very impressed, deposit paid, marking time now until May!!! I will miss the sheer size of the roadster but given the fact that now you can have the same performance in a better package why do I need the extra mass!! Especially on UK roads!

Well test ride done and I’m very impressed, deposit paid, marking time now until May!!! I will miss the sheer size of the roadster but given the fact that now you can have the same performance in a better package why do I need the extra mass!! Especially on UK roads!
Heresy, heresy, Rockets must has maximum mass.:roll::roll::roll: Kidding of course you make a good point. I’ve seen the videos of your roads and they are scary small.

Back