To Blip or Not To Blip??

Ya I would say after reading the article there is a difference in blip and raising the throttle to match the engine speed to what it would be in gear before totally releasing the clutch. As stated in the article, to keep control if the bike by not allowing the bike to jerk and over engine brake locking the rear wheel up momentarily anf loosing control. To me a blip is a quick rise and fall of the rpm which other then sounding like a harley rider does nothing. Might as well do it when up shifting to or sitting still at a light.

I must say I liked the article above. But see no advantage to the blip and I do not see where it would hurt anything either.

Oh and I am not a instructor, I am just a Polock :D

Last edited:
I'm a riding instructor and have been for a few years now, and I have over 40-years riding experience, (and I don't know everything and i'm still learning from people with more experience than me). Blipping confuses the electronics, I can honestly say, that is a new one to me, I think it might be more of a case that blipping confuses that particular instructor, not the electronics. Newer bikes with a slipper clutch, it isn't really required, I find I use it most when shifting the Goldwing, it seems to downshift better that way, and it seems to help the triumph slip in gear easier. Personally I would say, that since you have already paid this guy, take the information and training with a grain of salt, then perhaps find someone with a clue and learn from them. just to straighten out any misinformation you have have been given.

As for that process damaging the bike, I just sold a 1983 Goldwing GL1100 with 550,000km on it, never had a transmission or clutch issue
Currently among other toys I have a 1989 Goldwing 210,000km, hmmmm no clutch or trans issues with that one either, and they have both had a lifetime of blipping

The only reason to blip is to match your engine speed to the road speed in the new gear you are selecting. Under racing conditions I can see that as being useful, but under low stress touring I can't see that it is of much use.

I blip at the same instant I'm downshifting so I am essentially raising the engine speed to where it will be in the lower gear. Makes it easier for the gears to mate up. But don't listen to me, my transmission pooped the bed earlier this year :mad:

Same here, well, 'cept for the pooped transmission thingy. Been downshifting my HD's this way for +45 years and no blown or damaged transmissions... not yet anyways LOL. I don't know if it's really necessary or not, but old habits.....

The only reason to blip is to match your engine speed to the road speed in the new gear you are selecting. Under racing conditions I can see that as being useful, but under low stress touring I can't see that it is of much use.
Oh the poor curry muncher.

I blip at the same instant I'm downshifting so I am essentially raising the engine speed to where it will be in the lower gear. Makes it easier for the gears to mate up. But don't listen to me, my transmission pooped the bed earlier this year :mad:

premature blipping?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Blipping the R3 does scare the crap out of bicycle riders and pedestrians at close range,
especially with a proper exhaust. I've gotten some dirty looks.
F*K em.

When I'm riding by bicycle I've had a$$holes like you do that to me many times. Not usually by another fellow 2 wheeler, but instead by the good ole Dually diesel jacked up bro-plow drivers that like to go by & "richen up" to smoke you out then rattle the exhaust and yes it does startle the shat out of ya. Actually have been so startled that i've gone off the road. So it's really dangerous for you to do that sh!t!!!!!!!! - it's more funny tho when they get stopped at a red light and I catch up to em................................. Proper a$$ whoopin :cool:

When I'm riding by bicycle I've had a$$holes like you do that to me many times. Not usually by another fellow 2 wheeler, but instead by the good ole Dually diesel jacked up bro-plow drivers that like to go by & "richen up" to smoke you out then rattle the exhaust and yes it does startle the shat out of ya. Actually have been so startled that i've gone off the road. So it's really dangerous for you to do that sh!t!!!!!!!! - it's more funny tho when they get stopped at a red light and I catch up to em................................. Proper a$$ whoopin :cool:

More mad lycra induced road rage ;):p:D
At least when you pull them out of the cabin you will already be up on your toes in those clip in cycle shoes but I wouldn't recommend them for traction, those nylon blocks must slip like a ***** on hard surfaces.

Back