To Blip or Not To Blip??

Camulus

.040 Over
Ride
2013 Roadster
Having started riding on old Brit bikes, some that used more oil than petrol, I have always "blipped" the throttle as I go down the gears as this was the accepted way to make gear changes smoother.

My youngest daughter (15) has just started riding lessons in preparation for getting her licence when she is 16 and the instructor has told her not to do this as -

a) It confuses the bikes electronics

and

b) It is anti-social

My view is that she needs a different instructor!

What do you think?

She needs a different instructor.

Confuses the bikes electronics? What a load of cr@p! It has a fuel injection system! Not that would matter anyway. The only thing confused is the instructor.
Antisocial? That should have nothing to with it. I suppose it could be antisocial if it is over-revved. But the point is to match the revs to the speed of the bike as it slows. If not done it could lock the back wheel up if the conditions are bad enough. It really should be a gentle rev to match the speed and that's all.

I wouldn't trust my daughter to this instructor.

Let her sit on the R3 and feel how much easier it is to select 1st from neutral with few revs versus idle ...

"Let her sit on the R3 and feel how much easier it is to select 1st from neutral with few revs versus idle"

She's always out and about with me either on the Rocket or my Thunderbird (which she has claimed for when she gets her test!) and did point out to the instructor that that is how I ride - apparently that elucidated a withering look and a comment of "well, not everyone can be of instructor level now can they".

I think I shall visit next time and not only request a different instructor but point out to this Bell End that I hold both RoSPA Gold and IAM Rider certificates!

I was just curious as to whether it was just 'older' riders who did this and it was not taught now - bit like front braking and one finger on the clutch lever (older riders of early 2 strokes will understand the latter!)

"well, not everyone can be of instructor level now can they".
Well I used to be - I think he's earned the T-shirt
cupid-stunt-b.png

Back