snuffcityrider

Living Legend
Just wondering if a tire pressure fluctuation of ten pounds over a week,s time with drastic temp. changes (freezing in the morning, 60 in the afternoon) is normal, or do I possible have a slow leak? Thanks!:confused:

Yes that would be normal with those kind of temp fluctuations. We have a new car that has the tire pressure monitors on it, and cold mornings will cause it to alert low pressure but as it warms up outside, they return to normal.

I have found though sometimes my Rocket will hold the same pressure for over a month, but could lose 5-10 pounds in less than a week.

Yes that would be normal with those kind of temp fluctuations. We have a new car that has the tire pressure monitors on it, and cold mornings will cause it to alert low pressure but as it warms up outside, they return to normal.

I have found though sometimes my Rocket will hold the same pressure for over a month, but could lose 5-10 pounds in less than a week.
Thanks! That puts my mind at ease.

A general rule of thumb is that you can loose approximately one PSI for each 10 F drop in temps. You should also take into account that if you filled your tires "hot" after riding for awhile, your temperature drop may be even greater than the thermometer shows.

Add to the 1# PSI per 10F temp drop another 1# PSI per month.

It is most advisable to air up within 3 miles of driving for a most accurate cold tire pressure.

Last edited:
Back