Are Tire Repairs Safe?

1K9

No'mo Rocket 4 me
Ride
Honda CB1100
I have a rear tire with a lot of meat on it as well as a nail in it. :banghead: It is causing a slow leak so it has to be repaired. Is it safe to pull the nail and plug it or should I trash the tire?

I have a rear tire with a lot of meat on it as well as a nail in it. :banghead: It is causing a slow leak so it has to be repaired. Is it safe to pull the nail and plug it or should I trash the tire?

As long as not on the sidewall, put a rubber plug in it and throw some RideOn or Slime in the tire. Air it up and go.

it DEPENDS. I always let my tyre guys decide and they have so far repaired. But I have seen them replace for repairs that (to me) looked almost identical. The last nail they even drilled the hole out a bit to get a better "plug" in.

There are 2 sides to this. One says never! While the other says it depends where the damage is.

Im in the it depends category. If the damage is in the sidewall Id not attempt it. Im currently running an emax with a plug. I feel confident enough in my repair I've had it to its design speed. More than once......

To me, the only acceptable plugs are the t shaped pull thru type.

Id be VERY surprised if you could find a shop to repair a motorcycle tire. I have all the stuff and do my own.

Ive read what all the manufacturers say. And even they don't agree if a repair is safe. Probably due to the variables of a professional repair and some hillbilly with a roll of duct tape.

Back