Both water pump hoses are nearly flat!?

rahoffman2

.040 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket 3 Touring
Going to wash the bike and noticed that both hoses are nearly flat!
Tried to remove the radiator cap to see if that would release some vacuum but couldn't get the cap off. It turns to the release position but only raises a bit and stops. I don't want to pull with too much force for fear of breaking it.
Anyone have this problem? Could my cap be bad? Hoses getting old?
I appreciate any wisdom here!
Thanks,
Rich
0901191458.jpg

How many miles on your bike ? You could be due.

SAMCO makes such good sense, many captains have just installed them on general principles.

In practice, flat hoses usually are a sign that the system has been under pressure, and when cooled, something contracted. It's not a problem generally, as when you run, it'll be back at full pressure. Still, would be good to check all your connections -- perhaps remove the radiator (an easy do) so you can see everything - if you park in the same place, check for leaks. Breaking the connections to remove the radiator, you'll want to pay particular attention to the bleed procedure in the manual (and can be researched on this site).

The system is designed for the expansion and contraction hence the overflow tank. When hot, the fluid can expand into that tank, and when cool again, the resulting reduced pressure can draw the fluid back, and in the process, see your "flat" hoses.

How many miles on your bike ? You could be due.

SAMCO makes such good sense, many captains have just installed them on general principles.

In practice, flat hoses usually are a sign that the system has been under pressure, and when cooled, something contracted. It's not a problem generally, as when you run, it'll be back at full pressure. Still, would be good to check all your connections -- perhaps remove the radiator (an easy do) so you can see everything - if you park in the same place, check for leaks. Breaking the connections to remove the radiator, you'll want to pay particular attention to the bleed procedure in the manual (and can be researched on this site).

The system is designed for the expansion and contraction hence the overflow tank. When hot, the fluid can expand into that tank, and when cool again, the resulting reduced pressure can draw the fluid back, and in the process, see your "flat" hoses.

Almost 90,000 miles. No leaks, but I can't get the cap off without forcing.
I'll run the bike later to see if the hoses return to normal.
Looks like new hoses are in my future. :)
Thanks

Had the same problem after about 30,000 miles. 2015 rocket X. Now at 57,000 and Samco hoses look like they were installed yesterday. 90,000 yes indeed Sir time for some new hoses. Clean and lube the cap or just replace. I believe Truimph recommends replacing the hoses every two years per the manual. ;);););););)

Are you sure you turned it all the way? I just had mine off, and I remember it seemed like it wouldn't come off, I think there's a half way position notch, I pushed down again and another quarter turn or so at then it was in the take off position.

Had the same problem after about 30,000 miles. 2015 rocket X. Now at 57,000 and Samco hoses look like they were installed yesterday. 90,000 yes indeed Sir time for some new hoses. Clean and lube the cap or just replace. I believe Truimph recommends replacing the hoses every two years per the manual. ;);););););)

Thanks for the info!

Are you sure you turned it all the way? I just had mine off, and I remember it seemed like it wouldn't come off, I think there's a half way position notch, I pushed down again and another quarter turn or so at then it was in the take off position.

I'll try that.
Thanks

Back