Are Tire Repairs Safe?

Well said Jay.

For me I like to think of a plug as a temporary get me home kind of fix. Then dismount the tire and install a good radial plug patch as a permanent fix.

Thanks, @Idaho Red Rocket 3.

I carry Dynaplug and have a compact air compressor from Aerostitch. I’ve had to use it a few times and it worked well, but certainly not a permanent fix.

I guess everyone needs to make their own peace with this decision. After a similar post hunt elsewhere, and seeing a similar nearly 50/50 split, I finally decided to side with the more cautious riders, as the opinion poll comes out, basically, to a flip of the coin. Not good odds, really, if you think about what's at stake.

Some of those here who do go with patching/plugging I have great respect for, and I am tempted by that alone to switch sides.

My friends will tell you- I'm one of the cheapest so and so's they know. But you can skimp on gas, wash/wax, highway pegs, fog lights, led headlights, crash bars, and even oil, if you change it enough, (not beer or coffee, btw)... but your tires (and brakes) are the one link you have to "keeping the rubber side down." I've decided to go ahead and draw the line on my being "tight" right there.

So, hey, I can throw a butcher knife ten times in a row, end over end, 10 feet into the air and catch it by the handle, but does that mean I can do it on the 11th try? Well, as they say, your mileage may vary.....

It was the valve stem seal. It is cracked and leaking air. :eek:
Tire must come off the bike to break the bead and change the stem with the new metal style.
These things are usually changed in cars when you install a new set of tires. Not on motorcycles

You are as strong as your weakest link.

It was the valve stem seal. It is cracked and leaking air. :eek:
Tire must come off the bike to break the bead and change the stem with the new metal style.
These things are usually changed in cars when you install a new set of tires. Not on motorcycles

You are as strong as your weakest link.
sure its cracked ? reasons why I ask is some people turn the stem to face the other side for ease of inflation. and well sometimes they rotate it counter clock wise which loosens the nut in the inside and disturbing the O-ring since these are not you typical pull in all rubber stems like say the 415's and 416 series . anyway you might want to try rotating it clockwise. If this is not the answer and you pull the tire off to rotate or replace either the stem or the O-ring it is easier to access it from the left side of the rim. For you Polocks that the side opposite the disc/rotor side :D

Rick, I rode home from Stearns on a flat. I didn't notice it until I stopped for a bit, just 5 miles up the road. Then, the slow leak got worse and flattened. The bike will ride home, or along the side of the expressway until you hit an exit. As it flattens, the bike will "drift" around the turns. You should not ride more than 35
mph on a complete flat.
I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE TO RIDE ON A FLAT TIRE
But I have and will, just to get more air, a plug, tire sealant or whatever it takes to keep me in the wind.
The sidewall on these tires are very strong. After home, I ordered a new tire. Not worth much after you run them low.
It is my experience that I talk about, not my advise for anyone on here to do as I do.
Rick, this would be a good time for you to learn how a bike feels when they are going flat. Do not empty the tire, but run it with 10 pounds of air, really slow around the block. Then you will have some experience of a tire going low.
Also, Please replace ASAP
This is an unsafe practice!!!!!!!
Just saying
If you can ride with the front tyre totally flat then you have stronger arms than I.

sure its cracked ? reasons why I ask is some people turn the stem to face the other side for ease of inflation. and well sometimes they rotate it counter clock wise which loosens the nut in the inside and disturbing the O-ring since these are not you typical pull in all rubber stems like say the 415's and 416 series . anyway you might want to try rotating it clockwise. If this is not the answer and you pull the tire off to rotate or replace either the stem or the O-ring it is easier to access it from the left side of the rim. For you Polocks that the side opposite the disc/rotor side :D

Its a 1997 rubber base that requires a plastic gizmo to stabilize it. Gota go. Not taking chances.

Only one front flat. Just drove one across the expressway, then about a quarter mile to a closed car wash. That was on my Harley. Buddy showed up, picked up the front, put in a tube and headed for Sturgis. 2:30am

Back