Thoughts on clutch failures

If you looked at the pics from my clutch, the bearing and thrust washer were assembled backwards. If they wern't, the clutch would probably been alright on my nearly stock bike. My clutch plates looked like brand new. It has been well documented that the stock clutch won't take too much horse power over stock. You have to be careful always going to neutral at every stop. If someone is coming up on you fast, you still stand a chance of getting out of the way if you are still in gear. Of course, that depends on whether or not there is someplace to go. Once I am boxed in, I go to neutral, but just to rest my artritic arm if the truth be told.

I can't recollect ever replacing a clutch in any motorcycle, automobile, farm tractor or big truck I have ever owned. I treat all clutches, even the hydraulic clutch packs in the tractors as on and off switches with nothing in between. I too, try to be in neutral at every light or I time the lights so that I don't have to stop. The R3 has a tremendous amount of compression braking so my brake pads should also last a long time.

New buss

The manual and bike bandit schematics show different assembly orders, does anyone know the correct order including the wave washer ?
------Ill bet all the Techs do.HAHAHA Common Piger,research.We need the latest up dates from Triumph for the library.You could charge for the best, garantied, correct parts brake downs and and info.and have Triumph dealerships enrolling,and you would be famous with us.I would pay 50 bucks a year for a service like that. BJC Got. Wilbur should know.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that when i had mine out, i put it back the way the factory manual shows. That was 15,000 miles ago and it seems to working correctly. As far as sitting at a light in gear ready to go, i was doing that one time on my Harley when the cable snapped at the lever lurching me foward a couple of feet and stalling the motor. Thank God i wasn't sitting there trying to be a bad ass and blipping the throttle!:eek: Bigern P.S. By the way, my Rocket is the custom Red with Gold Flames....the fastest color of course!:rolleyes:

The manual and bike bandit schematics show different assembly orders, does anyone know the correct order including the wave washer ?

My bike did not have the wave washer at all, or else it disintegrated.

Here is how mine was assembled. The bearing should have been between the flat face of the lifter piece and the hardened steel washer. Instead the bearing was riding against the soft aluminum of the pressure plate.

This is the new version. No need for washers at all.

Attachments

• 5707492087.jpg
    5707492087.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Your working to hard Flip.Hows your blood pressure???And colestrol,if I spelled it wrong I mean grease in your oil passages.Hang in there..Jack

You are right about working too hard. I've been teaching an average of 48 hours a week and I've had a string of less than impressionable students. However, I'm doing my part to remove the 'students' from the welfare rolls.:)

I got the doctors report back on my blood tests and my colestrol (I don't know how to spell it either) is a bit high so I'm relegated to peanut butter sandwhiches for lunch and fish and turkey for dinner. Had to throw the pop tarts away as well as the chocolates. Everything else is working as it should, even my prostrate, whatever in the hell that is. Least I can still have my Act II butter lovers popcorn.

Back