Thoughts on clutch failures

bigern2300

.060 Over
Just a thought when ever i read about riders having early clutch problems or failures. I often wonder when i read about these problems if they could be produced by the riders habits such as sitting for extended periods at stop lights with the clutch lever pulled in and sitting in gear. This type of activity puts tremendous amount of strain and wear on clutch components including burnt out pressure plates and release bearings. I've always made it a habit to be in neutral when at stop lights or heavy traffic and cannot ever remember having any clutch failures throughout 25 years of riding. Bigern

Last edited:
That may make sense, Bigern. I have an early Rocket, July '04 and don't have many places around here where I have to hold in the clutch for very long and my clutch works great. I've had to adjust the clutch cable a little, but that's about it. The only place I've had to old the clutch in for way too long was in downtown Sturgis, and I'll tell you I was worried about overheating then.. but they ol' girl made it through...

I know it's a pretty good ride to New Ulm for you but you're more than welcome. Hey.. I rode up to Oklahoma City last year for a rally, so I know the Rocket will make it that far. :)

Hey BigErn,
What colors your rocket?
I have a black '07.
Good to have a few Okies on here.
We've got a ways to go to catch up with the number of r3's in tejas.
You live alot closer to Talamina Drive than I do,
got any pictures you could post of that ride?
I'm still pulling for the third Rockets Across America to be there.
Take care,
xhdskip

I watched someone with a kawasiki who complained bout how it shifted once, they barley toed it in... Me, I slam through the gears, rarely use the clutch to upshift and generally abuse the crap out if it... keep thinking I'm goig to snap the shifter when I down shift

No problems, and never made an adjustment yet on the Clutch

I watched someone with a kawasiki who complained bout how it shifted once, they barley toed it in... Me, I slam through the gears, rarely use the clutch to upshift and generally abuse the crap out if it... keep thinking I'm goig to snap the shifter when I down shift

No problems, and never made an adjustment yet on the Clutch

Never fear...your syncro rings will let you down when you really need them......It ain't a crash box. What the hell does 'barley' have to do with it anyway?

heheheh barely

what I was tryign to say is you have to shift with meaning, not soft sole nudge it in, shift it.

and for what its worth, my 2 yr old or my 1 yr old try to help me type sitting in my lap sometimes and I can't correct my horrible spellings ...

my tranny never balks or makes noise

heheheh barely

what I was tryign to say is you have to shift with meaning, not soft sole nudge it in, shift it.

and for what its worth, my 2 yr old or my 1 yr old try to help me type sitting in my lap sometimes and I can't correct my horrible spellings ...

my tranny never balks or makes noise

I knew what you meant anyway. Just hope your gearbox is as forgiving. No syncromesh gearbox is meant to be shifted clutchless. It's extremely hard on the synchronizer rings and the face edge of the gear sets.. Eventually, you'll either chip a cog or the rings will give out and then you'll really have a crash box. For a gearbox to be shifted clutchless, the gear sets have to be relieved on the mating faces. The R3 box isn't.

Back