Thinking about buying a Rocket

Carpenter Racing has a couple of kits for the R3. The first is a 210 horse power kit. The bike from the classifieds that @Mittzy posted in post #93 http://www.r3owners.net/threads/2011-carpenter-stage-1-roadster-2200-miles.23432/ is a nice looking R3 with the head and cam work done, but it still has the restrictive stock exhaust header.

You can get more performance from a stock R3 with a good tune. Yes the Rockets before 2013 had 1st-3rd gears restricted (so did the M109). Also there is some restriction from the secondary throttle plates toward the top of the RPM range. Removing both restrictions will make a noticeable difference.
The 210 kit is head work and cams.

Adjusting out decel popping is much more straightforward with a Power Commander. It's just adding fuel at zero throttle at the rpms where popping happens. Trying to do it in the L tables which fuel off manifold pressure is a pain in the butt.

I'm assuming the L tables is something that's part of the ECUtune program?

I'm not trying the be rude or anything, but why is the area where your butt goes so wrinkly? It looks like something is wrong with the seat.

Also, I'm looking for one in the gloss black. Thanks anyway tho...
Probably a power / weight thing - loads of power throwing my fat arse around on the seat.:p

I'm assuming the L tables is something that's part of the ECUtune program?
It's part of the way EFI systems work. At low throttle, it regulates fuel based on manifold pressure as a function of RPM (L tables). At higher throttle, it regulates fuel based on throttle position as a function of RPM (main or F tables).

It is located in Houston. Black Roadster with sissy bar and windshield, no crash bars. A buddy and I went and looked at it and he is considering buying but hasn't made up his mind. Just talked to him and he talked to the owner and has him down to $7800. I will try and get contact info for you

****. I could have bought that one, crated it to Carpenter and back, and got the 240 package and exhaust for less than I just paid for mine.

MarvinM

There are a couple of options, like @Evil Mitch said a dyno (with a good operator) will give the best results. There are also a couple of people on the forum that write good tunes (but you never know how the actual A/F ratio is). PCV with AT works well too. A couple of people like the Dobek unit. I haven't personally used one but it does sound good, having the ability to switch from power to economy on the fly.

If you do go with the 210 Carpenter Rocket, and change to Carpenter's pipe and the K&N 4040 filters (I have no idea what filters are on it now). You can call Carpenter to find out about sending them your ECU to flash with the right tune for that setup.
Make sure when sending your ECU to Carpenter that you let them know what year you have. I spent over $40 in postage and insurance also wasted a weeks time sending my ECU only to find out that they did not have a 2014 Roadster in stock in order to tune my ECU. To there credit they did send me a tune for my PCV.

I rode a used R3 before I bought my '13 Rocket and it had the same deceleration popping, but it was running Jardine pipes, so I figured it was a tuning issue. My '13 Roadster does none of this and you should be able to set it up easily enough for 2-up riding. Granted, it will not ever be an HD Ultra or a Guldwing, but if you are looking here you are not looking for those.

I use mine to tour quite a lot and with a few mods for comfort/storage the R3R works just fine. Unlike you, while I like the 240 I would prefer the 180 simply for the ability to get different tires/dual compound tires. I am have a new set of tires and a Dark Side tire sitting in the garage trying to make the decision between the two.

ANyhow, welcome. Lots of good people here as you are already seeing.

Back