Thinking about buying a Rocket

with a decent tune on a dyno you can get rid of it my bike has zero decel popping

The bike has to go on a dyno to get rid of the popping? I've always been told that popping during decel indicates a lean A/F ratio. Many, if not most bikes with EFI come from the factory with their A/F ratios set on the lean side to pass EPA emissions requirements. My 109 was lean from the factory and the first thing I added was a fuel manager so I could richen up the A/F ratio. This may be a dumb question, and me being new to the Rocket I certainly don't know that much about it yet (though I'm learning), but why couldn't a person just use the ECUtune program to richen up the off-throttle A/F ratio until the popping stops?

The bike has to go on a dyno to get rid of the popping? I've always been told that popping during decel indicates a lean A/F ratio. Many, if not most bikes with EFI come from the factory with their A/F ratios set on the lean side to pass EPA emissions requirements. My 109 was lean from the factory and the first thing I added was a fuel manager so I could richen up the A/F ratio. This may be a dumb question, and me being new to the Rocket I certainly don't know that much about it yet (though I'm learning), but why couldn't a person just use the ECUtune program to richen up the off-throttle A/F ratio until the popping stops?

You can i never said you have to get a dyno tune its just an option you can download tune ecu for free and do it yourself if you know what you are doing i just prefered to get an expert to tune my bike after i added my mods rather than play with it myself . There are many options im just saying you can easily tune the decel popping out either way . I have a base mape in my bikes stock ecu that turns the 02 censor off opens secondary butterflys 100% takes the restrictions off of first three gears by unretarding the ignition timing moves my rev limit to 7000rpm and also moves my speed limiter out of the way then i have a power commander v controlling the fuel . You dont need the power comander if you are able to play with the fuel yourself just use the tune ecu program . And you have the potential to get far more out of this engine than you did with the m109r

There are a couple of options, like @Evil Mitch said a dyno (with a good operator) will give the best results. There are also a couple of people on the forum that write good tunes (but you never know how the actual A/F ratio is). PCV with AT works well too. A couple of people like the Dobek unit. I haven't personally used one but it does sound good, having the ability to switch from power to economy on the fly.

If you do go with the 210 Carpenter Rocket, and change to Carpenter's pipe and the K&N 4040 filters (I have no idea what filters are on it now). You can call Carpenter to find out about sending them your ECU to flash with the right tune for that setup.

I have a base mape in my bikes stock ecu that turns the 02 censor off opens secondary butterflys 100% takes the restrictions off of first three gears by unretarding the ignition timing moves my rev limit to 7000rpm and also moves my speed limiter out of the way

I would be interested in doing this (or having someone do it as the case may be), but as far as modding the bike, I'd like to keep it stock, including the exhaust...I'm certainly all for getting the most performance out of the stock configuration though as I can...I also didn't know there were restrictions for the first 3 gears...I can't even imagine what the thing feels like with the restrictions removed!

There are a couple of options, like @Evil Mitch said a dyno (with a good operator) will give the best results. There are also a couple of people on the forum that write good tunes (but you never know how the actual A/F ratio is). PCV with AT works well too. A couple of people like the Dobek unit. I haven't personally used one but it does sound good, having the ability to switch from power to economy on the fly.

If you do go with the 210 Carpenter Rocket, and change to Carpenter's pipe and the K&N 4040 filters (I have no idea what filters are on it now). You can call Carpenter to find out about sending them your ECU to flash with the right tune for that setup.

What is a 210 Carpenter Rocket?

You can i never said you have to get a dyno tune its just an option you can download tune ecu for free and do it yourself if you know what you are doing i just prefered to get an expert to tune my bike after i added my mods rather than play with it myself . There are many options im just saying you can easily tune the decel popping out either way . I have a base mape in my bikes stock ecu that turns the 02 censor off opens secondary butterflys 100% takes the restrictions off of first three gears by unretarding the ignition timing moves my rev limit to 7000rpm and also moves my speed limiter out of the way then i have a power commander v controlling the fuel . You dont need the power comander if you are able to play with the fuel yourself just use the tune ecu program . And you have the potential to get far more out of this engine than you did with the m109r
Adjusting out decel popping is much more straightforward with a Power Commander. It's just adding fuel at zero throttle at the rpms where popping happens. Trying to do it in the L tables which fuel off manifold pressure is a pain in the butt.

Adjusting out decel popping is much more straightforward with a Power Commander. It's just adding fuel at zero throttle at the rpms where popping happens. Trying to do it in the L tables which fuel off manifold pressure is a pain in the butt.

I see . It's all over my head dougl that's why I had the guys at powerhouse dyno tuning do it for me .I would have no idea where to begin lol

What is a 210 Carpenter Rocket?
Carpenter Racing has a couple of kits for the R3. The first is a 210 horse power kit. The bike from the classifieds that @Mittzy posted in post #93 http://www.r3owners.net/threads/2011-carpenter-stage-1-roadster-2200-miles.23432/ is a nice looking R3 with the head and cam work done, but it still has the restrictive stock exhaust header.

You can get more performance from a stock R3 with a good tune. Yes the Rockets before 2013 had 1st-3rd gears restricted (so did the M109). Also there is some restriction from the secondary throttle plates toward the top of the RPM range. Removing both restrictions will make a noticeable difference.

I see . It's all over my head dougl that's why I had the guys at powerhouse dyno tuning do it for me .I would have no idea where to begin lol
You got the TuneECU part right. I've been screwing around with canned tunes from Tuneboy and TuneECU for years with limited success. For my current bike, I caved and went the Power Commander route. It's like the difference between night and day.

Back