The Problem Facing Harley-Davidson

If the HD is something you must have, by all means, buy one. I'll be out in the mountains and badlands on my modern, even though it was discontinued, machine. By the way, discontinued in favor of a bike that looks and sounds like a ........

I would buy a Harley... if it had a CNC billet full S&S motor, 160CI, supercharged, 200+ HP, and drank 87-92 octane and could cope with stop and go traffic heat.

So basically, a full on custom bike, that offered everything a stock Harley can’t.

I have to admit, big bore vtwins with pipes sound sooooooooo good to me.

These days though, I’d buy a Diavel or Super Duke before an HD, all the vtwin sound, none of the land pirate culture. The “outlaw” culture doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest, and going “cruising” with big groups going under the speed limit is not my idea of a good time.

Just my .02 ( yes I am fully aware I’m anti-social).

If you join us, you'll find the majority of RAA rides are anything but "under the speed limit" :sneaky:

Liked Harley Davidsons after watching "Electra Glide in Blue" at the cinema in Tunbridge Wells, Kent UK way back when. Was riding a Lambretta SX150 back then (No, not a Mod, but all I could afford). After a stint in the British Army a Honda CD175, Honda CB250, Jawa 350, Honda CB750F2, and my greatest acquisition, a 1972 Triumph TR6P 650 Saint, ex-metropolitan police, which I believe I pushed home to Whitchapel, more than I rode it home! Years later migrated and bought a 1991 Harley Davidson Sportster, first year of the 5-speed, on the Military purchase program in the late 1980's while with the U.S. Army in Germany (5th Cavalry, 3rd Armored Div). Back then you ordered, and had to wait. Had nothing but problems with it, up to and including a HD Dealership putting in the wrong Andrews cams! Bought a Triumph Rocket III Classic in 2007, and to date, touch wood, have not had to try and push, or should I say, call AAA, for a lift home. Seems like used HD road Kings etc, can be got at a decent price, but the market seems to be flooded? Still like the look of them though, and still watch "Electra Glide in Blue" once in a while. PS. Miss kick starters too!!!

Funny, I came up on a herd of Harley's last week on a country road on my way back home from the Diner. They were riding 2 abreast, and barely doing the speed limit of 45/50. I can not understand the reason for these "parades". I finally got bored, and blew by the parade, being watchful for anyone pulling over into the passing lane. Got by, waved a hand in the air, and disappeared into the sunset. Maybe they are afraid to go out alone, fearful of a break down, a flat or something. I dunno, just seems strange to me. On the weekends, sometimes a small pack will show up at the Diner, all with their vests, badges, patches, pirate costumes. They pull a few tables together, talk loud so everybody can here/see them. Place their orders, eat and bullchit, bullchit some more, then go out to the parking lot, and bullchit some more, while cleaning their probably only rode on weekend machines. Then I'm sure they all head home, bike to the garage, not to be used till the following weekend parade.:) For that purpose, a Harley is perfect, loud, shiny, "look at me"

Yeah, there are those types. And there's the HOG members, wannabe's, RUBS, and so on. And let's not for get the real deal clubbers :D And there's guys like my long time friend of +45 years that has just over 121K miles on his '79 Low Rider. In addition to the old Low Rider he has 4 other Harley's in his stable, none of which would be considered low mile bikes. He's one of the few people I will ride side x side with on secondary roads, and on the slab. When I ride with most other friends I prefer staggered, for my own well being.... just say'n.

Took interest in the Rocket a few months ago and after learning more about them I'm in the process of looking for the right one. Not a RUB so I gotta go $used$ :whitstling: Anyways, I've talked to a few of my ol' Harley trash buds about my wanting to get a Rocket, and none of them have pissed on me for it. Now, most old time Harley riders are brand loyal for sure. And most that I know or associate with think it's a real hoot when a ****** rocket, regardless of brand, does a high speed fly by.

Enjoy yer next stop at the diner ;)

Yeah, there are those types. And there's the HOG members, wannabe's, RUBS, and so on. And let's not for get the real deal clubbers :D And there's guys like my long time friend of +45 years that has just over 121K miles on his '79 Low Rider. In addition to the old Low Rider he has 4 other Harley's in his stable, none of which would be considered low mile bikes. He's one of the few people I will ride side x side with on secondary roads, and on the slab. When I ride with most other friends I prefer staggered, for my own well being.... just say'n.

Took interest in the Rocket a few months ago and after learning more about them I'm in the process of looking for the right one. Not a RUB so I gotta go $used$ :whitstling: Anyways, I've talked to a few of my ol' Harley trash buds about my wanting to get a Rocket, and none of them have pissed on me for it. Now, most old time Harley riders are brand loyal for sure. And most that I know or associate with think it's a real hoot when a ****** rocket, regardless of brand, does a high speed fly by.

Enjoy yer next stop at the diner ;)
One time on my way south to the Laughlin River Run my Bud and I got passed by 3 sport bikes which were in excess of 80 mph which we were riding. On up the road a ways we pass the three which are going much slower now through a sand storm laying on their tanks trying to get protection from their itty bitty wind shields. My friend and I just waved as we were stretched out on our highway pegs with the cruise still set at 80.

If i had the coin to own a second bike it'd definitely be a Harley , always liked the look of the FatBoy models

My bride of 32 years now road two-up with me on my America, Thunderbird and now R3T. Having grown up with a father who rode with her on the back, she dreamed of having her own bike so several years ago I snagged a used '11 FatBoy and presented it to her for our anniversary (in her favorite purple color)... Not the the bike for me, but Nicole fell in love at first sight... a love that still runs strong today. Though she knows how passionate I am for my Rocket, she always wanted me to "Harley Down the Road" with her one day... so knowing the V-Rod Muscle I had eyed several times was no longer in production... she took me down for a test ride... and since I don't window shop well I rode her home as an early B-day present... blessed I am! I've ridden a couple HD's that I wasn't overly impressed with (though most bikes are better than no bike!); but let me say my new V-Rod is no slouch. Not a bike I'd take state-to-state; but a great ride for day runs.

I then went to the Harley store and to be honest I was so turned off by all the do not sit on and do not touch signs and the corporate attitude I walked out. (The Indian store asked to see my motorcycle endorsement then offered me the keys to whatever I wanted to ride.

I've experience both... and I tend to not purchase at dealerships where that attitude persists (car dealerships as well). When I got my V-Rod, the salesman was not pushy... I could sit on anything I wanted (even the bike with the "Do Not Sit" sign) and when it came for the test ride he tossed me the keys and told me go enjoy... just me (I've been followed before; being told EXACTLY where I could ride... F* REALLY!?!). Actually, there's a story behind getting my R3T but I won't hi-jack this thread and bore you with that here.

One thing I like here is that I could ride something else and I can still be friends with those I've come to love here. I did not get that message when I traded my Road Glide for my R3T on my last board. ;)

AMEN! :)

Here's the rest of the family:

365.jpeg
Delilah.jpg

DSC_8104 -1-F-Redux.jpg

-MIG

If the HD is something you must have, by all means, buy one. I'll be out in the mountains and badlands on my modern, even though it was discontinued, machine. By the way, discontinued in favor of a bike that looks and sounds like a ........
Victory's are sharp. :):):):)

One of my most memorial days in my life was walking into the Harley Dealership and buying a brand new Harley Davidson Fatboy. Grew up in a generation were owning a Harley meant that you had made it. At least in my little world anyhow. Looking back and considering what it meant to me at the time still brings a smile. That was back in 2010. Today we are looking at the bike with over 90,000 miles and sold it once and it came back. See previous post. Wife and I talked about it and she agreed to let me build. Not talking about taking the bike in and having some clown work on it. S&S 124 brand new crate motor and now we are tearing into it. Selling the bull and buying parts to turn the 124 cubic inch into a screamer. Not your average Harley owner and Know my way around the bike. Primary is built to the max. Transmission is the same. Not going to be your average Harley. Figure by the time the fat lady sings should have one #ell of a ride. Take your Screaming Chicken and let the coyotes eat lunch. Really do not like the direction Harley Davidson is going. Personally think they are screwing up big time. Yes better suspension and a more comfortable ride OH how NICE and SWEET. Man get real. Its supposed to be A Harley. Loud and vibrate your tooth fillings out at idle. Hit it and frame flexes as you try to hold on. Some can say that is retarded others would call it old school. I would refer to it as CLASS. The Rocket X is my mainstream bike by far. The Harley when I am done with it will be My SUNDAY BIKE. If you are thinking that your screaming eagle 117 Milwaukee Eight is a Bad boy think again.

I hope I got this right. When you say that the Harley will be your Sunday rider. Its to go to church and back ,right!

I like Harley’s
I love Indians
Rockets are an illness.:p

I’m not worried about HD if they get in to much trouble they’ll just take more government money.o_O

Back