Tarting up the R3, K&Ns & stuff!

Gratitude for the response.
Wonder if those Wilber front springs are any better than those from Progressive?

Sorry to bushwhack this thread but I've been meaning to write this up for two months:

/RANT ON

I can't say for sure which are "better" as I never tried the Progressives but I'll never purchase another Wilber product.

I went with the Wilbers as I wanted to lower the front end 1" or more to match the 1" lowered rear end and I just couldn't get a straight answer on what Progressive part number(s) I needed for the 2005 and 2015 R3R springs.

Wilbers seemed to have it clearly defined which Wilbers springs to use and mecadata.com had the best price so I dropped US$348 for two sets delivered.

2004-9 R3 = 600-0404-02 (Rabaissement 20 mm) - to me this meant the springs would lower it by .79" PLUS what I got by pushing the forks up into the triple trees. WRONG!!
There was also lots of confusion as the box label and instructions included were incomplete and wrong.

They stated "Use preload bushings L=10mm and the original preload bushing" - after a week it was confirmed there was no bushing included or needed.

Get this though - their .79" advertised number INCLUDES the triple-tree mod I had already done. It took several days to get the correct instructions stating: "Push the fork tubes maximally 10 mm through the triple clamps"

2010+ R3R = 600-0404-03 (Rabaissement 25 mm) - to me this meant the springs would lower it by .98" PLUS what I got by pushing the forks up into the triple trees. WRONG!!
Again, the instructions included were incomplete. Once received, these ones stated
"
Push the fork tubes for further 8 mm up to 12 mm at all through their triple clamps (technical
maximum).

The remainder was achieved by the critical missing step to "Shorten the original preload bushings for 10 mm". Sadly, by the time they told me this the mechanic had already reassembled everything so effectively neither bike
is actually any lower with the new (and expensive) springs. AAARRGGGHHH!

Q1. Why does one say 10mm is the max you can push the forks up into the triple trees and the other says 12mm? I didn't measure mine but they seemed the same to me.

I also checked the Triumph parts catalog and cannot see where the stock springs/forks/trees on 2004-2018 R3/R3R are any different so why does Wilber have different part numbers and instructions?

In fact, the new instructions they sent for both part numbers stated :

"Use Wilbers fork springs art.-no. 600-0404 and appropriate Wilbers-oil (SAE 10) with an air
chamber-level of 110 mm
". So, in fact, both kits have the exact same springs and nothing else!!

The advertised 'Rabaissement 25mm' numbers don't add up for the Roadster - 10mm from cutting the bushing plus 12mm from pushing forks up = 22mm (or 20mm if R3 and R3R both max at 10mm).

I spoke with an Engineer at Wilber and he agreed the instructions, web site statements and pricing were wrong but the only thing I see fixed is the prices are now the same for both kits.

OK, I got that out of my system and have hopefully schooled others on this marketing tom foolery.

The fact of the matter is that you can do this mod with any aftermarket R3 fork spring!

/RANT OFF

On the bright side, I do notice improved handling, control, and steering response with these Wilbers over the stock ones.

Maybe I'll trim the spacers on the next fork oil replacement cycle - or get a lower profile front tire to help in the twisties - or neither as I run DS anyways...

Oh they are real bastards at Wilbers;):D:roll::roll:

On the bright side, I do notice improved handling, control, and steering response with these Wilbers over the stock ones.

If you get some 13" rear shocks, Hagons or any other good upgrade you will enjoy it even more. Lowered rear shocks are horrible for a smooth ride.

Oh they are real bastards at Wilbers;):D:roll::roll:

If you get some 13" rear shocks, Hagons or any other good upgrade you will enjoy it even more. Lowered rear shocks are horrible for a smooth ride.

I have 11.5" Nitros with heavy duty springs on that one and agree that they are not ideal (better than stock though).

To go to 13" I would need to wear these:

boots.png

I have 11.5" Nitros with heavy duty springs on that one and agree that they are not ideal (better than stock though).

To go to 13" I would need to wear these:

boots.png

You would be surprised how much more apparent leg length you have if you get the front sides of the seat shaved down so you legs are not splayed as much with both feet down. when riding you do not actually get any support from the wide front seat section. Both Corbin and Russell DayLong do this narrowing, but Russell does it further than Corbin do.

Got the Ramair kit today. I have a spare claw ready to cut. and I have the "Nels K&N/Ramair-Tors" map on my laptop, that sounds like the best map from what I read on here.
Put TORS on two days ago. Rain for the next week. Might be good time to put in the ramair.

Now about balancing the throttle bodies. I thought it would be a good time for that with the tank up during the Ramair install.
Is it possible to get to the throttle adjustment screws without lifting the tank, anybody know? Guess I can check the manual.

Got all the ideas right here. Thanks for the pictures and comments/advise!!!

The Touring bearclaw is a bit different than the others, so I'll cut shallow and go from there.:confused:

Got the Ramair kit today. I have a spare claw ready to cut.......... so I'll cut shallow and go from there.:confused:

Ha ha that’s what I did. I made the first cut then another ten. By the time I was finishing I would have better off using a grinder. :rolleyes:I was making metal shavings.:mad: I did get it right in the end. I did not have a spare claw to sacrifice to overly aggressive cutting.:thumbsup:

Ha ha that’s what I did. I made the first cut then another ten. By the time I was finishing I would have better off using a grinder. :rolleyes:I was making metal shavings.:mad: I did get it right in the end. I did not have a spare claw to sacrifice to overly aggressive cutting.:thumbsup:
I'm waiting for the 1st 'itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka-dot' one to appear! ;):D:cool:

It would probably be @RKTNMYPKT wearing a matching riding outfit!

Yellow RKTNMYPKT 2 jpg.jpg

Back