Tarting up the R3, K&Ns & stuff!

Mikethepie

Who dares - gins.
Ride
Standard - ish! R3
I have recently bought the 2010 classic which I've always hankered after, and whilst great, I'd like to make a few alterations to.
I've seen a few shots on here of bikes with k&n filters fitted, some with a modified 'bearclaw' which looks good. Some retailers state I need to install a power commander if making this mod, is this true, and why?
I don't like the long indicators which wobble and flap around and which generally look crap. Looking for something smaller (led?) which will bolt straight on with no buggering about as my electrical skills are pants. Any recommendations? A rear end tidy up might be an option maybe?
Numerous bolts and screws are looking a bit tatty, showing some rust and corrosion. Looking for (any other ideas gratefully received) handlebar, mirror, engine bolt kits, brake resevoir bolts etc. Is there a supplier that sells complete bolt kits that you guys recommend?
Also thinking of taking the wheels and tyres off and having the wheels powder coated to match bike colour, has anyone any experience with this, is it a non starter?
I'm in New Zealand which given its size, offers little in the way of parts or mods for the R3, so shipping has to be considered.
I've also noticed that the very bottom of the front forks seem to be pitted or corroded, could be a laquer finish thats perishing(?) but it looks crap and I need some suggestions to rectify.
Yes, I've been looking online so I know there are some options out there, but experience counts, so that's why I'm also asking here!
also, anyone coming to 2019 WATOC - Rally of the Year - New Zealand?
regards

Mike.

Welcome Mike from Australia. You definitely do not need power commander. Air intake is one of the cheapest and easiest mod for a bit extra power. Might run a bit lean afterwards but there are a multitude of different tunes that can be downloaded and installed. Enjoy your tinkering.

Mike head to Nelson and see Thunderpipes
They also do handle bars.

@Tal will be along soon to tell you about all the up grades you need. He's in ChCh also.

I will be going up for at least one day. :D

...hey Mike...
Thunderbike Nelson for bars...K&N's you can install yourself...watch and follow the ramair install video on youtube..I watched this video all the way thru...got the tools ready, put the laptop on a stool beside the bike and started pulling things to bits. I would play a bit of the video...stop the video and do that bit...go back a tad and run the video again, do that bit...etc...it works a treat.. .
You can cut the bearclaw yourself with a cutting disc in a grinder if your skills allow...if not, go for the 'Ramair'..just as good and no need to cut the bearclaw away.
You dont need a PCV but it makes tuning a lot easier....Honda Country in Ashburton are the Dyno Jet guys and Brendan and Andrew know their stuff...
Led's, i got mine from JP Cycles online https://www.jpcycles.com/...great selection and service. Installation is easy once you have a plan in mind, you will need to change the 3 pin relay plug which is on the right side of the bike under the right panel. I'm sure its the only 3 pin relay there. This needs to be done to correct the flasher speed on the indicators once led's are installed.You can get this online also. Make sure you get this one.
-dual-load-l.e.d-flasher-relay-unique-flash-rate-fix-new-spec-cf13-gl02-sku-t2500531-1961-p.jpg

You should be able to access bolts and nuts easy enuff...if you cant get them local then give Blacks Fasteners in ChCh a buzz..i'm sure you have them in Blenheim too..
Blacks Fasteners supply a superior quality fasteners and tools, including Fischer fixings, supported by an experienced sales and service team to builders, engineers, trades and customers throughout New Zealand.

Cheers Tal.

Last edited:
Welcome Mike from Australia. You definitely do not need power commander. Air intake is one of the cheapest and easiest mod for a bit extra power. Might run a bit lean afterwards but there are a multitude of different tunes that can be downloaded and installed. Enjoy your tinkering.

It helps though!

You are a brave man Mike, announcing on this 'ere forum thingy that you wish to spend money on aftermarket improvements! It'll be an air filter today, an exhaust tomorrow and then a full blue printed engine shortly after. Hope the pockets are deeper than a Scotsmans and you full and free access to them :eek::eek::whitstling::roll::roll:

Back