Clearview 25 inch extra wide with vent, I love mine.

I have the 25 also without vent and use the Triumph lowers. Nice and calm at interstate speeds, and no more buffeting, but a little air would be nice while putting through town at low speeds.....gets warm. I'll be sending it in to get a louver soon.
IMG_20140907_131838351.jpg

Yeah, even my 19-inch on the Touring gets warm in the summertime. Indispensable for long rides, but in the summer for shorter jaunts I need a cut-down version. Going full naked on a cruiser where you lean back also sucks, you're like a massive sail in the wind, it's exhausting.

The "pounding" one takes with an intermediary shield is really the worst of it. You don't get protection, but you do get all the swirling wind from the top of the shield hitting right at the helmet and pummeling it left and right. That gets even worse if you have a helmet that isn't properly snug (almost all riders have too large helmets, statistically speaking).

What bothers me the most really is that ventilation through the helmet suffers when the helmet is not out there in the "wind stream". Mine ventilates like nobody's business without the shield on, but with it on it's iffier.

On a previous bike I actually had a lot of success with cutting the shield way down. The air hit about just under the chin, so the body was offloaded, but the helmet was in the wind. It was a bit more tiring than a full shield, but so much more bearable in the summertime.

I'm going to try and revive this thread b4 I start a new one. I just got home with my wife on back after about a 200 mile round trip to one of our state parks and when we got home and she told me "We need to talk" I thought probably shouldn'ta run that red light. Apparently the roadster tall screen is causing severe buffeting behind me to the point that she feels like she's in the ring with Mike Tyson. anybody here find a solution?

If that screen doesn't have the vent, then you may want to cut a hole in it. That will make a huge difference as it helps reduce the vacuum behind the screen. Lowers are also very good.

Tell me more about this "hole".
Amount, Size, Locations?

FWIW - 25 inches!!!! WOW!
Youse must be looking through the shield rather than over it!
I have a taller torso than most and use a 19" shield (measured from the top of the headlights).
I have NO turbulence issues at any speed up to 140 mph. I do ride solo.

Just so you guys know...you can special order a 27" windshield from clearview. I think they only charge $40.00 US more. I have a 23" now...and my 27" with light gray tint, 2" extra wide, with a recurve at the top, cutouts for my foglights, and vents is on it's way. The recurve at the top really helps deflect the wind, and helps keep the rain out of your face a bit.

Tell me more about this "hole".
Amount, Size, Locations?
I put masking tape on the screen so I could measure and mark where I wanted to cut. I drilled two 1.5" holes with centres 6" apart, just above the horizontal part of the mounting bracket, using a regular hole cutter on a drill. I then joined them up with a jigsaw to make a slotted hole. I used a flat bastard to smooth the cuts, and progressively finer wet&dry paper to bring the cut to a smooth OEM type finish.

There is no scientific reason as to where or how big I cut. It seemed to look right and be about right, and as it turned out quite effective, it couldn't have been too far off. I have to say also that I use the lowers, and they do make a difference.

r3windscreenhole.jpg

Thank you for the info.
I shall consider doing this.
Perhaps experiment with 1.5" holes to see the differences and if they be progressive.
I have no buffeting, but there is an upward wind that lifts up my mustache. :roll:
On my V-Twin lowers corrected this issue and I'd like not to install lowers on my R3 because I remove the shield frequently.

The main thing is wider. Along with Triumph lowers, the wider Clearview was the only thing that reduced buffeting, which comes from the radiator and is channelled by the tank to your ears. The screen height should allow you to see over the top to a point on the road 50' in front of the bike. With this height, air will go over your helmet. I had tried several shield besides the roadster: summer, Windvest, fly, fly with stand offs.

Back