Sump plate gasket

Ridefree

Supercharged
Ride
2013 R3T .... 2003 Harley softail
Hi All,
I have been away from the motorcycle lifestyle for sometime now due to health and career situations and other situation. I am now getting back to Riding and getting my 2013 R3T back in shape for the road as it has been sitting in the corner neglected for sometime. I need to replace the sump plate gasket. I know this is a paper gasket and was wondering if anyone put any kind of a dressing on this gasket or do you guys just install it dry.
Thanks in advance,
Ridefree

I apply a very thin layer of silicone sealant on the engine side so that the paper gasket sticks to it. The oil sump plate side remains dry. This keeps the seal attached to the engine and ensures that I can remove the oil sump plate several times without having to replace the gasket.
Regards, Georg

Hi All,
I have been away from the motorcycle lifestyle for sometime now due to health and career situations and other situation. I am now getting back to Riding and getting my 2013 R3T back in shape for the road as it has been sitting in the corner neglected for sometime. I need to replace the sump plate gasket. I know this is a paper gasket and was wondering if anyone put any kind of a dressing on this gasket or do you guys just install it dry.
Thanks in advance,
Ridefree
I replaced mine last year and installed it dry as it is a complicated shape with a lot of holes for the oilways and i did not want to risk any sealer blocking any oil ways and even worse being drawn deep into the drillings where i would'nt have been able to clear them. I have had no leaks but i did spend a lot of time cleaning both sufaces.

I replaced mine last year and installed it dry as it is a complicated shape with a lot of holes for the oilways and i did not want to risk any sealer blocking any oil ways and even worse being drawn deep into the drillings where i would'nt have been able to clear them. I have had no leaks but i did spend a lot of time cleaning both sufaces.
Yes. I’m thinking the gasket should get the job done if it was designed properly. I have seen gasket dressing, especially silicone, actually caused the gasket To leak by causing a slippery surface and splitting the gasket as it was torqued it down.

I use a light grease smear so the gasket sticks to the case. Which is useful when your just dropping the sump pan while the engine is still in the bike. Coincidentally I use light grease on the clutch cover gasket too. When I go up with the pan I locate every bolt hole befor I run the bolts up. It helps maintain gasket bolt hole and oil passageways in line. If you are cleaning the sump screens. Triumph states to renew the bolts. I clean them and apply medium strength blue locktite to the threads.
Hope this helps.
Oh and most people miss the two bolts a couple inches across from the side stand. They are inside the perimeter bolt path.

I use a light grease smear so the gasket sticks to the case. Which is useful when your just dropping the sump pan while the engine is still in the bike. Coincidentally I use light grease on the clutch cover gasket too. When I go up with the pan I locate every bolt hole befor I run the bolts up. It helps maintain gasket bolt hole and oil passageways in line. If you are cleaning the sump screens. Triumph states to renew the bolts. I clean them and apply medium strength blue locktite to the threads.
Hope this helps.
Oh and most people miss the two bolts a couple inches across from the side stand. They are inside the perimeter bolt path.
Yes thats true. I knew those bolts were there but still had to look hard to find them. Thinking back to my job i think i used a thin layer of grease on one side only to hold the gasket in place as it wouldn't lay flat. I have had no leaks up to now.

Back