spark plugs position

Just a fly in the ointment on the benefit theory ,when I had my C109 Boulevard (twin plug heads)I took the plugs out for a fiddle and to check the colour for combustion performance , and found one of the plugs had no sign of an centre electrode, we looked at it through a high power magnifier they use to check diesel injector nozzles (a black art) and it looked like it had never had been there since new ,thinking AH! here comes a performance improvement with a new set of Plugs ,guess what not one bit of difference it ran exactly the same , it was running just fine for 8000k with one dead plug ,and just fine but no different with new plugs :unsure:

So when you index these plugs what happens to the spark if you had to move it. besides the gap being lined up verses the center of the cylinder but the height as you rotate the plug? It can either pull the plug up higher in the cylinder by shimming the plug or lower it if you have to find a way to rotate it by knocking what some off the shoulder of the plug or are you going to modify the sealing washer on it?

Then there is the fact that no plug is the same if only because tolerances creep in or human error does.

My Alpha used to have a plug with a centre electrode and 4 others around the edge. that should have it all covered. :)

My Alpha used to have a plug with a centre electrode and 4 others around the edge. that should have it all covered. :)
People have been discussing and trying this since the first spark plug and so far no hard evidence has been produced to show that it makes any difference at all either way.
In my younger days I worked for Champion and got asked this a lot!

WOW,-- no wonder they call some of us Rocket scientists---I'd never even have thought of that ...:confused:
What would Triumph say to it I wonder??

Hmmm-- I can't even think how it could be achieved...

their is only one way to catch the thread???
Isn't there??
I'd hate ter lose all of one h.p..:whitstling:

I remember reading about this awhile back, never really found out if it made a difference. He marked his plugs with a magic marker to assure the alignment. This kid must have read the same article,it's out there somewhere if you feel the need to research it. Now all we need is a diagram of the position of the valves...

Last edited:
Back