slipping out of 2nd and 3rd into neutral

I agree with @Claviger, bypassing second wouldn't hurt anything in the trans. I'm curious why you are doing it ? Unless your winding it up some in first, jumping straight to 3rd seems like you would be lugging the engine. I try not to make my engine pull under 2000 rpm's unless I'm puttering in first gear.

Less shifts getting up to the pathetically low cruising speeds in town, means fewer times the wife's head bounces off the back of my helmet ;-)

If it is the detent spring, and it hasn't slipped out of gear enough times to damage the dogs, you may be good just changing the spring. Not a bad job, except you have to remove the radiator. That's a messy job.

If it is the detent spring, and it hasn't slipped out of gear enough times to damage the dogs, you may be good just changing the spring. Not a bad job, except you have to remove the radiator. That's a messy job.
The detent spring is behind the clutch cluster correct? Any special tools required to remove the clutch? I've seen the gear box disassembled as far as the pressure plate removed.

It's way easier to get the clutch inner hub nut off with the tool that locks the inner and outer plates of the clutch together.

I've just made these clutch locking tools.

20180823_114901.jpg

Contact me at paul@vikingexhaust.com if you want one.

If you can get hold of an old clutch plate and steel (and there are probably a few floating around the forum) then you can join them together to make your own tool. A few holes drilled and a couple of small nuts and bolts, or rivets, and you're done.

Back