slipping out of 2nd and 3rd into neutral

Jwjhoover

.020 Over
Ride
2008 R3 Classic
New to Triumph 2 years ago. Pretty mechanical, but have never worked on a triumph.

I am having a problem with my 2008 R3C (40000Km) slipping out of 2nd and 3rd gears into what seems like neutral. In some instances I get the neutral light, other times not.

I am hoping that this can be considered a "false neutral", and certainly I have had the occasional grinding sounding shifts, but this new symptom is different - under power 2nd gear always, and 3rd gear mostly slips out.

I've read a few threads regarding detent springs breaking, so this is a possibility, however, wouldn't this mean I would have problems in all 5 gears?

I can say for sure that 1st, and 5th stay in gear without fail. Definitely 2nd slips out, 3rd does most of the time, and the when this suddenly started happening I believe it was slipping out of 4th, however, I haven't had 4th slip after several tries. Unfortunately, with no gear indicator on the 08, I can't necessarily distinguish if this is happening in 4th.

I've read another couple threads which indicates that the teeth are rounded on the 2nd gear, and possibly 3rd gear sprockets.

If this is a detent spring, I think I can tackle that repair. As for a work gear(s) - how much work is that?

Another factor - and I hope I didn't cause this problem to happen - for a few hundred Km before the slip problem I have been frequently been shifting between 1st-3rd without engaging the clutch. In other words, often I double shift, and that means that often 2nd gear hasn't been under load during acceleration. I don't know if this part matters, but it seems coincidental that this problem is happening only a week or two after trying a new shifting habit.

Input?

Hopefully you don't have the dreaded Second Gear slip.

I had mine done 5 weeks ago on an 06 classic.

Up date kit was $2500 Kiwi dollars and 32 hours labour. All up $5880.

But it's my last bike ever.

But luckily the tax man paid me a return for more than the repairs and I wasn't expecting anything from him. :eek::D

Forgot to say that I was at 40,000 kms to.

New to Triumph 2 years ago. Pretty mechanical, but have never worked on a triumph.

I am having a problem with my 2008 R3C (40000Km) slipping out of 2nd and 3rd gears into what seems like neutral. In some instances I get the neutral light, other times not.

I am hoping that this can be considered a "false neutral", and certainly I have had the occasional grinding sounding shifts, but this new symptom is different - under power 2nd gear always, and 3rd gear mostly slips out.

I've read a few threads regarding detent springs breaking, so this is a possibility, however, wouldn't this mean I would have problems in all 5 gears?

I can say for sure that 1st, and 5th stay in gear without fail. Definitely 2nd slips out, 3rd does most of the time, and the when this suddenly started happening I believe it was slipping out of 4th, however, I haven't had 4th slip after several tries. Unfortunately, with no gear indicator on the 08, I can't necessarily distinguish if this is happening in 4th.

I've read another couple threads which indicates that the teeth are rounded on the 2nd gear, and possibly 3rd gear sprockets.

If this is a detent spring, I think I can tackle that repair. As for a work gear(s) - how much work is that?

Another factor - and I hope I didn't cause this problem to happen - for a few hundred Km before the slip problem I have been frequently been shifting between 1st-3rd without engaging the clutch. In other words, often I double shift, and that means that often 2nd gear hasn't been under load during acceleration. I don't know if this part matters, but it seems coincidental that this problem is happening only a week or two after trying a new shifting habit.

Input?

Going from 1st to 3rd without releasing and engaging second will not do any damage at all.

I agree with @Claviger, bypassing second wouldn't hurt anything in the trans. I'm curious why you are doing it ? Unless your winding it up some in first, jumping straight to 3rd seems like you would be lugging the engine. I try not to make my engine pull under 2000 rpm's unless I'm puttering in first gear.

If it is the detent spring then instructions are in my signature. If it is the update kit then that is a bit more work.

But luckily the tax man paid me a return for more than the repairs and I wasn't expecting anything from him. :eek::D

I have read a couple different threads that Triumph corrected

I hope I don't have your bad luck - what was your bike doing that indicated you needed this repair?

I seem to remember reading a couple other threads that make me think that the Update Kit was for 07 and earlier bikes, and 08 should already have been updated - the silver engine vs the black. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back