I am now up to three motorcycles as well...I sold my Concours. Now have 2010 Rocket Roadster, 2016 Ducati X Diavel S, and a 1999 Honda Valkyrie. I retire on August 1st after 22 years as a Librarian and immediately hop on a plane for a one-way trip to NH to pick up the Valkyrie and ride it back to Alaska...pretty stoked about this trip. I am meeting a friend in Wisconsin and he is joining me for the ride north.

Am working on a scheme to get all 3 motorcycles and my truck into my 2 car garage this winter! (actually 4, as i rent a room to a guy with a Suzuki adventure bike) Doug

The Concourse is a fine motor with great handling!
If my hips and knees were ergo happy with it, I'd likely own one! :thumbsup:
You have a terrific ride planned!
Are you reaching Washington or shooting a hypotenuse toward Alaska?

The Concourse is a fine motor with great handling!
If my hips and knees were ergo happy with it, I'd likely own one! :thumbsup:
You have a terrific ride planned!
Are you reaching Washington or shooting a hypotenuse toward Alaska?
I loved my Concours even though it was the older, first generation with the "Briefcase" saddlebags...it was a terrific engine but like you I found the riding position too "Sport" for my hips. The Valkyrie I bought down there to replace is much more comfortable. Am not sure where I will be entering Canada to get on the ALCAN...I know my buddy wants to see the redwoods in N Calif. and also wants to take the Cassiar highway....all I know is we **** well better get past Whitehorse before the snow flys!!! I dont mind riding in the cold but snow is where i draw the line! I am hoping to ride the Rocket to the states in 2019 for RAA to finally meet some other Rocket Riders...Doug

I loved my Concours even though it was the older, first generation with the "Briefcase" saddlebags...it was a terrific engine but like you I found the riding position too "Sport" for my hips. The Valkyrie I bought down there to replace is much more comfortable. Am not sure where I will be entering Canada to get on the ALCAN...I know my buddy wants to see the redwoods in N Calif. and also wants to take the Cassiar highway....all I know is we **** well better get past Whitehorse before the snow flys!!! I dont mind riding in the cold but snow is where i draw the line! I am hoping to ride the Rocket to the states in 2019 for RAA to finally meet some other Rocket Riders...Doug

Well, Doug,
I be in Tacoma, WA. If you get near, just let me know.
Redwoods be cool, but not on the freeway.
Ever like some route suggestions. lety me know.

I am now up to three motorcycles as well...I sold my Concours. Now have 2010 Rocket Roadster, 2016 Ducati X Diavel S, and a 1999 Honda Valkyrie. I retire on August 1st after 22 years as a Librarian and immediately hop on a plane for a one-way trip to NH to pick up the Valkyrie and ride it back to Alaska...pretty stoked about this trip. I am meeting a friend in Wisconsin and he is joining me for the ride north.

Am working on a scheme to get all 3 motorcycles and my truck into my 2 car garage this winter! (actually 4, as i rent a room to a guy with a Suzuki adventure bike) Doug

Tell me about your Valkyrie. Mine is a ‘99 standard two-tone yellow/ivory which just turned 20 years old (built 5/98) and I’ve owned it since new. I’ve ridden it in 26 states so far and coast to coast.

I was thinking of selling it but my Wife wouldn’t let me. She rides a VTX1300S and wants a new 2018 GoldWing but they’re going for $25-28k new.

A Thruxton??, or maybe a speed triple??...ummmm...or maybe a cafe racer...dunno???

78e3a2afd406a306717af4b8db6dd4a3.jpg
150a013ce6b9b6c1e8fe569dd5e3e0b9.jpg
c0a6b0e6e5d513ca02169d4d3debb272.jpg

Sort of interesting to read this thread. I was looking for an R3 (had always wanted one since they came out) and was going to buy one from a guy near NYC. Before I could get to it to take a final look, he sold it. As luck would have it I happened to run across a Ducati XDiavel S at a price I couldn't pass up so picked it up instead. On the way home from picking up the XDiavel found a R3 Roadster that needed a new home and ended up buying it.

It is sort of strange but the are very complimentary in their own way. I was thinking that I'd ride them both for a while and maybe have a clear favorite but so far I really appreciate them both in their own ways. Absolutely love all the low end torque of that big triple though. I can't wait to get an exhaust for it and let the sound track not be quite so muted. I don't won't HD loud but a bit more than what it is stock would be nice.

As for the Connie I've had pretty much every version starting with 1986 until the 2014 models. Really liked the bikes a lot. A lot of bang for the buck and very easy to unlock more HP. Finally got off the Concours train and bought K1600GT. It has one of the few soundtracks that I like better than the triples.

Absolutely love all the choices we have in motorcycles now. A really great time to be a rider! Just when I think it can't get any better I look at all the cool and crazy mods like a turbo or supercharger for the Rocket. I keep think I could just send the Rocket to Carpenter and have a really crazy fun ride when they were done with it.

Back