The craziest statement I keep hearing, “ I couldn’t own a Rocket. Way too much speed/power. I would kill myself.” Such crap. The last I saw, the rider controls the bike. You actually have to turn the throttle. Of course you have to realize your surroundings. Personally riding on a highway the power has saved me more than once.

I am 5’ 10” y’all and about 190 lbs. my first bike was a 2007 Suzuki C50, an 800 cc cruiser that I bought new. I, too, did not have the money to start small and work my way up. Looking back, that was a mistake. I dropped it many times and had a get off which ended in cracked ribs. I survived all of this and am now on my third bike, a 2014 R3T. I had the C50 for three years before getting a 2009 Kawasaki Nomad 1700 in 2010. I had it for 8 years before another get off which ended in cracked ribs and totaling the bike.

I have had the R3T for a year and am really enjoy it. I agree with the others about it not being a good first bike. I would think a smaller bike, 500-750 cc, would be a better place to start. Probably at the lower end of that range. Get used to the weight, handling, braking, etc. for a minimum of a year. Take the beginning MSF class before getting the bike. Take the follow up class after a year. After the second year, move up to something larger, 1,200-1,700 cc, to get used to the weight and power. After two years on that, depending on your comfort level, then consider a Rocket. I would consider this to be the shortest timeline that would be reasonable depending on ability.

Best wishes with your decision.
Well said, and I agree completely. Taking the MS (motorcycle safety) course is a must for all riders (I took the class after driving MCs (40 )years and learned a lot.
Ours allowed us to pass the DMV MC test in the class on a 250CC sized bike which was a huge help, I failed the test several times before I took the MS safety course when I used my much larger MC.

Well said, and I agree completely. Taking the MS (motorcycle safety) course is a must for all riders (I took the class after driving MCs (40 )years and 100K miles and learned a lot.
Ours allowed us to pass the DMV MC test in the class on a 250CC sized bike which was a huge help, I failed the test several times before I took the MS safety course when I used my much larger MC. When you take the test the DMV tester only tells you whether you pass or failed not what you did wrong.
mc mckoy

I read this differently. A guy has hopes of owning and riding a Rocket. Why would you get all cranked up about a bike you have never rode. Buying any motorcycle requires a degree of common sense. He needs to spend a couple of grand on a Honda Shadow. One with 500 to 600 cc. Ride it for a year. The bike will have good resale value. Now, own a Rocket.
If we use common sense for every decision we make in this world, life would probably be pretty dull! I’m not saying we don’t need more common sense in this world, but when it comes to motorcycles let your Conscience be your guide and buy the most ridiculously overpowered toy you can find!

Im a bit late to the party, but I rode a few big bore single cylinder offroad bikes before the Rocket. I even passed my big bike lic on the rocket. It scared the hell out of me for a while. After nearly 14 years, it no longer scares me. But I always respect it. I wouldn't recommend it as a 1st bike.
Do we know what the OP did?

Back