Roadster Tire Replacement Advice Please

From the manufacturer today, regarding "flipping rotation":

Hello James,

Thanks for contacting the Michelin Consumer Care Team. My name is Joseph and I look forward to helping you out. You’ve been assigned case number 14847099. This will allow my team to quickly pull your claim details if any further questions arise.

Let’s see how we can help.

Regarding your email stating:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If using a rear tire (commander II) on the front of a motorcycle, in which rotational direction should it be mounted and why?

James thank you for contacting the Michelin Consumer Care Team. It is not recommended to install a rear tire as a front tire, however, make sure the tire is installed in the forward rolling position. Doing so will allow the tire to have the best grip that you can get out of this tire. Again Michelin does NOT recommend to have a rear tire as a front tire application.

I have just ordered the Exedra Max for the rear but the front Metzler still has miles on it. I’m just still confused about the choices for the front. I thought the Avon Cobras were highly regarded? Why am I so afraid of running a rear in reverse on the front? I am sure there are those on the forum that disagree with mounting a tire in reverse. What is their argument?

Joseph ...."make sure the tire is installed in the forward rolling position"

Which ever way you put it on it will still roll forward and backwards just as well;):confused::D

Depending how you comprehend or interpret this obviously crappily worded statement, it may contradict what others have advised. Which is to reverse the 'normal' direction of rotation as indicated by the manufacturers with a direction arrow. This is based on the fact that construction of a rear tire is biased towards the acceleration forces/loads, while the front tire is subjected to and designed to suit large braking forces/loads.

Edit: My self judging punctuation police wouldn't let me leave that paragraph as a sentence ;):D

Last edited:
I inspected a road 5 today. It doesn't say anywhere on the tire "For rear use only" as many tires do when flipping and front mounting is under safe.

It's also not constructed in the traditional manner. I'll be running one at Boneville most likely.

...this is why I love you Guys...thank you as always for more from the font of all knowledge!

I have just ordered the Exedra Max for the rear but the front Metzler still has miles on it. I’m just still confused about the choices for the front. I thought the Avon Cobras were highly regarded? Why am I so afraid of running a rear in reverse on the front? I am sure there are those on the forum that disagree with mounting a tire in reverse. What is their argument?

My only contribution to this as as a complete non tech. I took advise from here and swaped to Avon’s front and back. Honestly , If I had not experienced it I would not believe the difference a tire swap could make. The confidence inspiring difference is unbelievable...I’m a believer now!

Hello James,

Thanks for contacting the Michelin Consumer Care Team. My name is Joseph and I look forward to helping you out. You’ve been assigned case number 14847099. This will allow my team to quickly pull your claim details if any further questions arise.

Let’s see how we can help.

Regarding your email stating:

If using a rear tire (commander II) on the front of a motorcycle, in which rotational direction should it be mounted and why?

James thank you for contacting the Michelin Consumer Care Team. It is not recommended to install a rear tire as a front tire, however, make sure the tire is installed in the forward rolling position. Doing so will allow the tire to have the best grip that you can get out of this tire. Again Michelin does NOT recommend to have a rear tire as a front tire application.

Surely Joseph of Michelin customer care knows tire construction. Ya reckon he was perhaps simply covering his employer's posterior?

My only contribution to this as as a complete non tech. I took advise from here and swaped to Avon’s front and back. Honestly , If I had not experienced it I would not believe the difference a tire swap could make. The confidence inspiring difference is unbelievable...I’m a believer now!

I stayed away from the Avons based on the previously stated lack of good wet/cold weather traction. I LOVE my Excedra/Commander II combo.

Seeing that there has been some talk on tires around the forum lately, I get paranoid of how much tread I have left on my rear touring.
Looks okay for awhile to me, and I just bought a tread depth gauge. Just got to research the limits and manufacture date.
For now I took a pic and am going to throw it out here for some input.

Rocket Rear Tire_2019-04-19 (2).JPG

Rocket Rear Tire_2019-04-19 (3).JPG

Just seems like there's a lot of smooth rubber I'm not used to seeing on my other bike's tires.
Am I good to go for awhile?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Rocket Rear Tire_2019-04-19 (1).JPG
    Rocket Rear Tire_2019-04-19 (1).JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 2
Back