Roadster Tire Replacement Advice Please

Okay! Thanks! For future reference, where are those wear indicators?
Guess I'll get hold of the place I bought it from since they now have a service dept. and they just put a new tire on a roadster they have for sale.
If they can handle a roadster a touring should be a walk in the park. :confused:

There are some of these in between tread areas at the bottom of drainage channels.

Once the surrounding tread has worn down to the level or very close to the wear indicators it is time to replace. Tread wear is not even on most bike tires as the centre wears faster even with dual compound tires unless you live in a world of corners like NZ and rip the sides off first like a few on the forum do.
Good sides do not make a good tire if the centre is worn! Just sayin' ;):D

tyres-malcolm-flynn-%285%29-wide-guide.jpg

Last edited:
FYI-
I have recently put 3K miles on a new Michelin Road 5 rear 150/70R17 mounted reverse on my front wheel.
Tis the same circumference as a 140/75R17 and provides the same handling improvements.
I have found the addition of a wider aspect ratio results in W-A-Y more lateral force cornering grip!
I ride the twisties pretty hard and this tire has given me the most control with yet deeper lean angles than ever before in the 62,000 miles I've ridden Kong. Of the fourteen tires (9 rear & 5 front) I've ran on Kong, this one has made the MOST handling improvement of all.

Hard to argue with that statement.

BTW, look at what they did to Kong]
Kong_.jpg

No wonder he's pissed off.

IMG_0633.JPG

Just gone from avon cobra to avon chromes scrapped my floor boards with the cobra but with the chromes the floor boards are gonna need replacing before the tyres:thumbsup:

Just gone from avon cobra to avon chromes scrapped my floor boards with the cobra but with the chromes the floor boards are gonna need replacing before the tyres:thumbsup:
Then you REALLY need a set of the much higher Standard foot boards like 1olbull has.

Comparing the Classic (LHS) to the Standard (RHS) in the photos below not the Roadster, but the Roadster is probably as low as the Classic. 1olbull has foot-boards on a Standard bar mount set fitted to his Roadster which gives the much increased clearance to the stock Roadster bar and pegs or the Classic foot boards.

Link Removed

BOARDS ON MY ROADSTER - FINALLY!

So, having now been able to put some miles on Hugin this year, I can confirm that the swap from stock Metzelers to Bridgestone Excedra Max rear to Michelin Road 5 (reversed) on the front has pretty much transformed the handling on my R3R, much more nimble than prior. Have also not had any issues with wet handling or any other aspect of performance. My thanks to 1olbull and Claviger for the original recommendation!

I have just ordered the Exedra Max for the rear but the front Metzler still has miles on it. I’m just still confused about the choices for the front. I thought the Avon Cobras were highly regarded? Why am I so afraid of running a rear in reverse on the front? I am sure there are those on the forum that disagree with mounting a tire in reverse. What is their argument?
Doc, I’m running the eMax back and the Avon cobra 140 up front. Great combo! Are there better? That depends, as everything engineered has compromises made to reach their design goal.

Regarding running a back on a front, it comes down to comfort level. Just like plugging tires (which I do). Some fear the unknown, and go with the safest solution. The arrows on tires are there to OPTIMIZE tire performance, not so it doesn’t come flying apart. To add to that, we Rocket pilots come no where near the tires or the bikes design ultimate.

More important than directional rotation is proper inflation!

Also keep in mind flipping tires to fit the end is older than the arrows put on them, it's been around for more 100 years.

Dunlop, at least, explicitly designs tires to do this.

Any of the new gen of tires should be fine in this capacity: Road 5s, Q4s, Q4+, and power RS to name a few.

They use new construction methods that don't wrap the tread with the same type of directional join lines we've been sold over the last 30 years and grown accustomed to.

Back