Reset Adaptations question

This is just spectulation but i think the measurement of the stepper is just in case u do not have the means to check the voltage or u replace stepper motor.
I think if u have the voltages correct i am assuming the gap will b close.
What rpm is the idle set to on the new tune?

So is it just a slight up and down at idle? Does it appear more pronounced as the engine gets hotter?
Worse as it gets hotter or sits longer idling. A few times as I was finishing with letting it reset adaptations it got low then surged up to like 1500 and settled out again. When driving it’s a little variable at a stop light but not bad. I’m almost wondering if it’s a little rich at idle. I loaded tune 20228 yesterday. Prior to that I just had a slightly unsteady idle but nothing I felt was to bad. I did have one time where it was sitting high every time I pulled in the clutch then would settle back to 900ish. I was advised to lube the linkages and springs and it hasn’t done that since.

This is just spectulation but i think the measurement of the stepper is just in case u do not have the means to check the voltage or u replace stepper motor.
I think if u have the voltages correct i am assuming the gap will b close.
What rpm is the idle set to on the new tune?
The instructions I found here said to measure it but maybe there is a way with voltage? Not sure. TPS is voltage set.
I included a picture of idle in the tune. At cold start it actually settles down to around 800-900 quickly. Before it gets up to temperature. I might try to unplug the stepper and see what happens.
Another thing is O2 sensor is taken out in the new tune. I’ve not seen any issues with that from other users but maybe.

Attachments

• 2ED741E8-176D-4D0C-92A9-1EB8F002690B.jpeg
    2ED741E8-176D-4D0C-92A9-1EB8F002690B.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 10
What i was talking about was forget the spacing and go with the tps settings with tuneecu retract stepper motor set tps at .062 then engage stepper and tps should be at .074 if not adjust the stepper mortor.
This should work as long as nobody has been messing with the idle stop.
When u do away with the o2 sensor u r on a set set of values and the ecu can not make changes for any problem or any situwaition

What i was talking about was forget the spacing and go with the tps settings with tuneecu retract stepper motor set tps at .062 then engage stepper and tps should be at .074 if not adjust the stepper mortor.
This should work as long as nobody has been messing with the idle stop.
When u do away with the o2 sensor u r on a set set of values and the ecu can not make changes for any problem or any situwaition
You mean the ISCV reading should be at .074.
The Android version of Tune ECU pretty much walks you through it. The O2 sensor being turned off doesn't stop all adaptives.

The Android version of Tune ECU pretty much walks you through it. The O2 sensor being turned off doesn't stop all adaptives.
Ah thanks. My TPS is at .60 which is perfect according to what I’ve read for my 05. The ISCV reading was .72 or .74. I don’t recall exactly so it sounds like that’s fairly close as well. I’ll have to double check.

I was refering to the o2 sensor at idle
I am aware that the ecu takes info from temp sensor, map/baro, speed sensor, crank sensor ect
I am out of here.

I was refering to the o2 sensor at idle
I am aware that the ecu takes info from temp sensor, map/baro, speed sensor, crank sensor ect
I am out of here.
Just to clarify the O2 sensor is still in the bike. The tune just takes it out of use so it gets constant feedback and doesn’t try to lean out the MAP.

Last edited:
Never thought I’d miss carb jetting but good grief.
My head hurts but I’m grateful for this forum. After a ton of reading from the experts I’ve come to the conclusion that the rough idle is possibly that the O2 is off and the canned map is a little rich in that range. I’ve now read different from what I first read (same expert changed his opinion) that on canned maps it is sometimes possibly beneficial to leave the O2 sensor on as it will likely only lean out the bike at idle and cruise. It’s to narrow once you open the throttle so it reverts back to the written tables and removes the O2 from the equation.

I also think this is why my TPS stayed green. As I understand it with O2 off the bike doesn’t go through the 15 min learn process? Maybe I’m wrong but that’s how I understood it from what I read. I’ll know for sure later this week when I have time to reload the MAP with O2 on and see how the bike responds.

Thank you to everyone who’s responded so far. I’m very new to doing any kind of electronic tuning and appreciate all the feedback as I learn.

Never thought I’d miss carb jetting but good grief.
My head hurts but I’m grateful for this forum. After a ton of reading from the experts I’ve come to the conclusion that the rough idle is possibly that the O2 is off and the canned map is a little rich in that range. I’ve now read different from what I first read (same expert changed his opinion) that on canned maps it is sometimes possibly beneficial to leave the O2 sensor on as it will likely only lean out the bike at idle and cruise. It’s to narrow once you open the throttle so it reverts back to the written tables and removes the O2 from the equation.

I also think this is why my TPS stayed green. As I understand it with O2 off the bike doesn’t go through the 15 min learn process? Maybe I’m wrong but that’s how I understood it from what I read. I’ll know for sure later this week when I have time to reload the MAP with O2 on and see how the bike responds.

Thank you to everyone who’s responded so far. I’m very new to doing any kind of electronic tuning and appreciate all the feedback as I learn.
Not to rush in and step on any toes. But I am curious as the what the idle is set at in the tune you installed? Maybe its set different from the map you took out. Also don't worry about being a old carb guy throttle bodies are just fancy carburetors. You'll end up liking them better like I did. Also don't unplug the tps and attempt to start the bike the bike ecu won't know where the throttle is verses the amount of feul to squirt. That would be like unhooking the battery and wondering why nothing works when you turn the key.

Back