Recommended Tune for 2011 R3 with TORs?

phatjoe

.020 Over
Hi,

I have a 2011 R3 Roadster. The aftermarket TORs exhaust should be arriving today, and I'll have it installed by this evening. I won't be doing anything to the catbox, etc. Any recommended tunes?

The last six digits of my VIN are 473885. Would you recommend 20355?

Hi,

I have a 2011 R3 Roadster. The aftermarket TORs exhaust should be arriving today, and I'll have it installed by this evening. I won't be doing anything to the catbox, etc. Any recommended tunes?

The last six digits of my VIN are 473885. Would you recommend 20355?

Use 20688. This has the secondaries open 100% except at the high end. That is what makes the new models " unrestricted" and there are no other differences between the tunes. You could also open the secondaries in the top end cells in 20688.

Isn't 20688 for the 2013 models only? I just had my 2012 R3R done at the dealer and they installed 20355.

Isn't 20688 for the 2013 models only? I just had my 2012 R3R done at the dealer and they installed 20355.

The tunes are the SAME except for the secondaries table. Tunes that are not compatible, like the older Rockets and the Roadster or Touring cannot be read into TuneECU and compared. I'm surprised your dealer did this. They're advertising the new Roadster as being "unleashed" but the only thing they've done is open up the secondaries table in 20355. Maybe they'd rather have you buy a new Roadster rather than loading the new Roadster tune and making your bike as powerful as the new Roadster. You should ask the dealer why he wouldn't load 20688. Sounds like a crock. If you're interested in having an unleashed Roadster, buy the TuneECU cable off of Amazon for $20 and use TuneECU (free software) to open the secondaries 100% in the tune in your bike now and then re-load it. A word of caution - some people are saying that when dealers install tunes NOW, they are also doing something to the ECU that causes them to lock up forever unless you send it to the UK. I've seen no evidence for this. Some of the Triumph models are subject to this but as of now, not the Rocket or T-Bird. Your dealer may not even know anything about this. What we would need is someone with a Roadster who has had the dealer load a tune recently and then mucked with it using Tuneboy or TuneECU to come forward and say what's what.

A definitive word from Wayne Tripp would be reassuring.

According to the TuneECU web site, as of August 2013, TuneECU can be used on 2013 Rockets.

Standard r3r 2011 early Vin

Hi Doug new to r3owners , doing some reading of the ECU tuning. from the Tuneecu tables it looks like the map20352 is the suggested map to unrestrict the secondaries. can u confirm or suggest otherwise.

Thanks

Monster

Hi Doug new to r3owners , doing some reading of the ECU tuning. from the Tuneecu tables it looks like the map20352 is the suggested map to unrestrict the secondaries. can u confirm or suggest otherwise.

Thanks

Monster

20352 is the older restricted tune for stock mufflers.
20685 is the newer unrestricted version for stock mufflers.

20355 is the older restricted tune for TOR mufflers.
20688 is the newer unrestricted version for TOR mufflers.

Was just on the Tune ECU website and;
20685 (newer unrestricted version for stock mufflers) has been replaced with 20773

20688 (newer unrestricted version for TOR mufflers) has been replaced with 20776

Anyone know what the difference is?

Use 20688. This has the secondaries open 100% except at the high end. That is what makes the new models " unrestricted" and there are no other differences between the tunes. You could also open the secondaries in the top end cells in 20688.

I was of the understanding that the ignition is retarded in the first three gears which was the restriction? Is this incorrect? Do the tunes recommended address this issue and the secondaries?

The restriction is closing the secondaries. You could see this clearly on a dyno if you were inclined. The newer Roadster tunes open the secondaries 100% except in upper corner of the fuel tables, which is basically open throttle at highest rpm. The older Roadster tunes are the same, same fuel, same ignition, but the secondaries are closed. I don't know if you can safely put a new vin tune into an older vin roadster but you don't have to. Just use TuneECU to open the secondaries in the older tune and put it in the bike.

As far as timing goes, I wouldn't think of messing with it unless you were an expert. There seems to be this notion floating around that advancing the timing always gives better performance. I wouldn't know but I do know that Wayne MacDonald (Tuneboy) made a tune for triple pod filters with TORs and he wound up retarding the timing.

Last edited:
Back