Radiator Coolant ?

TOMCAT

Rage against the machine
Ride
2009 RIII Standard - 2008 Speed Triple -1995 900 T'Bird
Been told Motul MoCool is a good choice for warmer climates. Claim 15C/30F cooler engine. Anybody run this product ? Appreciate thoughts / advice.

TC I was advised to use Toyota car pre mix coolant by my local Radiator repair shop Owner..

He reckons it is the highest standard mix containing extreme Alloy protection and Cooling properties..

He also said it is the most expensive but if I was serious I should buy it :)

Havent yet

I don't think any of these things deliver near what they promise. I have tried the stock fill, distilled water with water wetter, and Engine Ice. Using a Scangauge to monitor temps I haven't seen a big difference in any of them in terms of operating temps. There may be a small improvement in how long it takes to reach the higher temps and how fast the temps fall, but I've not been anal enough to monitor it that close.

In 110F+ temps my water temp will run around 220 or above in either stop and go or heavy traffic. The fan will run virtually nonstop. Very interesting how much following another vehicle quickly causes the temp to climb a few degrees. I think the stock system is marginal at best as a small change in airflow has an immediate and noticeable effect.

Thanks fellas. Sure i read on here blokes wer using Honda brand coolant. Like you said it's highly likely that none of them do as they claim.

I just used "Dr Cool" coolant concentrate by "Nulon" it wasn't cheap our local radiator guy (there is only 1) is
"very old school" won't take crap from cheeky young punks and only recomend stuff that is good he recomended it to me, it comes as 2.5 litre and he recomended using it at 50% ratio (more than enought to fill the bike leaves some for topping up if ever needed) which it claims to protect you from -37 to 132 degrees celsius:)

I use Nulon Mono something Glycol (?) - the green stuff. Doesn't claim anything about keeping the engine cooler but has all the good stuff re anti-corrosion etc. Although we're mainly concerned about freezing in winter, it gets pretty hot down here in summer - well into 40s C - and I've not had any problems with overheating (even when I ran the overflow bottle dry :eek:). Can't see the point in paying extra for something I don't seem to need.

I use Nulon Mono something Glycol (?) - the green stuff. Doesn't claim anything about keeping the engine cooler but has all the good stuff re anti-corrosion etc. Although we're mainly concerned about freezing in winter, it gets pretty hot down here in summer - well into 40s C - and I've not had any problems with overheating (even when I ran the overflow bottle dry :eek:). Can't see the point in paying extra for something I don't seem to need.
You are using the Same stuff as me Richard, remember you rang and asked me which to use when you ran dry. Here in Auss we have two types of cooltant the red stuff and the green stuff but they are not the same and the Green stuff is "Mono Ethylene Glycol"

Oh and I was told never to use Red if your vechical has the Green stuff in it and vice versa due to different chenicals used in thgem for different engine designs and materials

Back