R3T Front tire not centered

ThePhoinix

.060 Over
After noticing that the front tire is wearing significantly more on the right side (down the the tread after 3600 miles) I took it upon myself to measure the space between the rim and the center of the fork on each side. It turns out that there is a 10mm difference between the left and right (80 mm between right fork and rim, 70mm between left form and rim).
Since the wheel seems to be sitting significantly to the left of the center, it seems logical that that would create a greater wear on the right side of the tire, right?
Is this normal? I can't see anything that is in error, and the ABS mechanism is on the left (shorter) side, so that should be the issue. I'm curious is anyone else has this problem, or if anyone else's front tire is off-center.
IS this a manufacturing defect? I don't feel any vibrations or problems when riding, and wouldn't have even checked if the wear wasn't so ****ed obviously uneven.
Can this be a warranty issue? I've still got a year, thankfully.

thanks

Could be the spacers are swapped, but i don't know if it will even go together like that. And since the calipers are mounted to bosses on the fork, they should not fit over the rotors if the wheel is in the wrong place. I am not sure how the ABS tonewheel figures in since I don't have ABS. But, having uneven fork action can cause one sided wear. You may need your fork serviced. One side being more bouncy than the other. Every fork will need service sooner than anyone ever thinks, and the need is often manifested as odd tire wear.

With left hand drive countries you will get more wear on the right side of the tyres due to the road camber. With you in the US, I would have guessed it should be wearing on the left side.

In my search of what was causing a high speed wobble I found the front forks to be incorrectly installed from the factory. One side was lower than the other. loosened top and bottom yokes adjusted forks so that they were both flush with top yoke and tighten everything up. Loosen up pinch bolts at bottom of forks and tightened. front tire wears right down the middle now.

my previous 2014 roadster was an import from the states and the front tyre was worn more on the left than the right also...thought it was the camber thing going on...also the handlebars seemed further forward on the left than the right??...My 2016 bars are the same...gonna check those forks now Sonny...Thanx.

Are you sure the hub is symmetrical with centre line of the spoked and rim?
Rather sure. Aside from the lack of any wobble up to 100 mph, I rolled it a few feet and re measured with the same result. From what I can tell it seems to be perpendicular with the road.

If the forks were uneven would that definitely produce some wobble? I'd think it would be pretty obvious if that were happening and I'd notice. But if there's a possibility that a reasonable person might miss a slight wobble at high speed that might be it.

Triumph dealer tells me that it is typical for tires to wear unevenly, and that the wheel not being centered is not uncommon and not a problem. He did say that 3700 miles is too short a time for such dramatic wear. Not sure what they are going to do about that, but I need a new tire in any case.

A lot of people have recommended the avon cobras. IS there another super durable model anyone would also recommend as better? I'm not looking to race, although the highway does go by really quickly, at times...

thanks

My stock Mezlers were completely toast at 4000 miles. I used to like MetZler when I was riding a Harley. NOT ANY MORE. Avon Cobra is a favorite front tire around here.

Back