06 would not stop cranking

Mongler07

Supercharged
Ride
07 R3 classic
as you know I have that odd cranking issue but that's not the question here but may be part of the problem that might get solved by fixing this issue.
Today when I started her (cold) the starter would not stop cranking. I turned her off key out and cranking kept going. I pulled the seat up and yanked the 30 amp main fuse and it STILL kept cranking. Pushing the starter button repeatedly and tapping the starter and the ignition controls did nothing. Eventually the battery lost enough charge that it stopped cranking.... I believed this is because the contacts were welded together?
The problem could not be replicated after this event but I only tried a dozen times or so.
Relay?
I just rebuilt this starter and it's a new battery.
I was not next to my tools fast enough to take the battery off. The negative was MUCH hotter than the positive after this event.....

as you know I have that odd cranking issue but that's not the question here but may be part of the problem that might get solved by fixing this issue.
Today when I started her (cold) the starter would not stop cranking. I turned her off key out and cranking kept going. I pulled the seat up and yanked the 30 amp main fuse and it STILL kept cranking. Pushing the starter button repeatedly and tapping the starter and the ignition controls did nothing. Eventually the battery lost enough charge that it stopped cranking.... I believed this is because the contacts were welded together?
The problem could not be replicated after this event but I only tried a dozen times or so.
Relay?
I just rebuilt this starter and it's a new battery.
I was not next to my tools fast enough to take the battery off. The negative was MUCH hotter than the positive after this event.....

The only way it could possibly be the relay is if some one moded the relay and furnished battery power instead of ignition power (like i did)
more than likely the solenoid washer stuck against the contacts or just welded to the contacts.
hth

Unless it's been modified, the light fuse kills power to start circuit.
SO what im taking away from this is that when i pulled that fuse, it cut half the power to the starter and it pulled all that extra current though the negative?
im fairly confused here. NOTHING has been modified on her in her electrical system other than the headlights

Last edited:
Being that the Negative connection was hotter means that the connection was looser than the positive......loose means extra resistance, =heat
The negative cable is a known weak link, if I recall it's a smaller guage wire, I replaced mine with a heavier cable many years ago.

I am going to do some guessing here and guessing might work until a better idea comes along.
Like Tripps and a lot of other peo have said including myself that the negative cable is junk. I added another cable and soidered all the ends. Not a 50% boast but close.
Guessing that when the starter ran on it weakened that negative cable and now won't carry the current.
Also guessing that you may have pulled the front 30 amp fuse which is a spare fuse so with a bad negative battery wire it only cranks 50%
I hope my guessing helps you in some way.

I pulled both the big fuses and realised that one was a spare. As when I pulled the 35 amp spare nothing happend so I then pulled the 30 and it then cranked at half speed.
I'll do the negative battery and a fe other things I put off for a while.
I am going to do some guessing here and guessing might work until a better idea comes along.
Like Tripps and a lot of other peo have said including myself that the negative cable is junk. I added another cable and soidered all the ends. Not a 50% boast but close.
Guessing that when the starter ran on it weakened that negative cable and now won't carry the current.
Also guessing that you may have pulled the front 30 amp fuse which is a spare fuse so with a bad negative battery wire it only cranks 50%
I hope my guessing helps you in some way.

i was under the impression that when you pulled that main fuse that the bike would not do anything or do you have a starter button wired direct?

Back