I have had 2 R’s so far. It’s easy to turn it into a tourer. Just have to install the backrest and rack. Also you can put the tail bag on for extra storage. It’s a bit of a pain to put that stuff on and off but once you do it you can take it on and off quickly with some muscle memory . Here are some pictures of my rocket in both modes. I wish I would have kept all my accessories because now I have a Chrome edition R that I need to buy all that stuff for again. The really nice thing about this platform is there is no buyer remorse. If you get an R or GT you can have whatever pieces of each edition you choose to add to your bike. I like the security of knowing I can turn my bike into a tourer for those long trips.

61878008574__6F07BB3A-2BC7-4D87-82A6-9C8C09A7B326.jpeg
IMG_0396.jpeg
I recognize the Garmin mount and what looks like the Zumo XT2 which I have ready to be installed on my R when I buy it this April. Do you think mounting the GT windscreen is advantageous in any way? I'm used to not having any wind protection and it doesn't bother me one bit but I'm wondering about the back of the Zumo being hammered with the elements at speed. The other consideration is my Shoei GT Air2 helmet which was designed to used without windshields. Even at 100 mph my head just floats in neutral with no neck pressure and some people have reported certain windshields causing strange buffeting. I understand that the GT wind screen is just that, a small screen, so I guess I'll just buy one and experiment when the time comes.

Apparently Madstad Engineering is now defunct as the domain has expired and their products on 3'rd party websites are either on sale or out of stock.

I don't think so. Try this link again. They're offering holiday discounts and when I pretended to order something it went into a shopping cart.....
Rocket | Madstad Engineering

I recognize the Garmin mount and what looks like the Zumo XT2 which I have ready to be installed on my R when I buy it this April. Do you think mounting the GT windscreen is advantageous in any way? I'm used to not having any wind protection and it doesn't bother me one bit but I'm wondering about the back of the Zumo being hammered with the elements at speed. The other consideration is my Shoei GT Air2 helmet which was designed to used without windshields. Even at 100 mph my head just floats in neutral with no neck pressure and some people have reported certain windshields causing strange buffeting. I understand that the GT wind screen is just that, a small screen, so I guess I'll just buy one and experiment when the time comes.
In my opinion the stock windscreen is mostly for looks- it does keep some wind off your chest.

I had the Garmin on that bike for over 10,000 kms in the wind and no issues. Pretty easy to clean off the bugs of it. It’s actually an XT I am putting an XT2 on my new Rocket. I can’t comment on the wind shield as I hate the way they look. The wind never bothered me. I came from sport bikes and have never felt what it’s like to ride with wind protection so I don’t know what I’m missing.

I think I'll keep the strips for now- not sure why. I guess let me think on it a bit.
Here's an older photo- I've made some changes since then...
1703986763233.png

Dragon-23.jpg

Tail of the Dragon loaded for camping. This is more recent showing marker lights, mirrors, levers, etc. Traveling lighter here with a smaller one man tent and inflatable camping pad I was trying out for a trek I did in Turkey. Usually. I carry a two man tent, fold up cot and sleeping pad - why suffer :)
Thanks for pics. It's always good to see what others do to their Rockets. And I agree with your camping choices! I so the same thing--2 man tent and cot--much more comfortable than just a sleeping pad.

Ok. Follow-up question. I am asking because I am likely going to have to order a bike without being to sit on them in a side by side comparison. I now understand the at the GT has forward foot controls but that they can be moved back towards the middle. How does the mid most pegs position if the GT compare with the mid controls of the R? Was wondering if the GT is a decent option.
Just my 2 cents. I put 23K on 2016 Rocket (mid controls). Bought and Indian Roadmaster to give her more comfort. The change in foot position drastic and I hate it (except long stretches of HWY). Just got a 2023 GT two weeks ago. The “forward controls” come in the middle position. Figured I would move them AFT. After just a bit of riding, turns out I love everything about the GT. The “middle/FWD” controls are no where near as forward as the Roadmaster. I never really stood up on my 2016 Rocket pegs. I have read here that some pull up some butt weight with handlebars and moved the bars. I checked my bar clamp torque, raised it a tad to 37 Newts. All good. Long story short (too late), the travel distance from GT controls to flat footed is nothing like the Harleys, Indians etc. Ride it a bit before changing.
Thanks everyone for this site

Just my 2 cents. I put 23K on 2016 Rocket (mid controls). Bought and Indian Roadmaster to give her more comfort. The change in foot position drastic and I hate it (except long stretches of HWY). Just got a 2023 GT two weeks ago. The “forward controls” come in the middle position. Figured I would move them AFT. After just a bit of riding, turns out I love everything about the GT. The “middle/FWD” controls are no where near as forward as the Roadmaster. I never really stood up on my 2016 Rocket pegs. I have read here that some pull up some butt weight with handlebars and moved the bars. I checked my bar clamp torque, raised it a tad to 37 Newts. All good. Long story short (too late), the travel distance from GT controls to flat footed is nothing like the Harleys, Indians etc. Ride it a bit before changing.
Thanks everyone for this site

One thing I hated about my Harley was how I would be fighting the wind with my feet with forward controls. They were basically like sails in the wind and I would be so
Uncomfortable on long rides. It was my first bike with forward controls and didn’t realize that was going to be an issue.

I had the Garmin on that bike for over 10,000 kms in the wind and no issues. Pretty easy to clean off the bugs of it. It’s actually an XT I am putting an XT2 on my new Rocket. I can’t comment on the wind shield as I hate the way they look. The wind never bothered me. I came from sport bikes and have never felt what it’s like to ride with wind protection so I don’t know what I’m missing.
I've had wind protection on a previous bike and it's definitely overrated. As long as rain doesn't force its way into the back of the Zumo I'll just forget about it.

Back