jcrich6084

Standard Bore
Ride
Rebel 1100
Hello,
I am looking to purchase a Rocket 3. I a want the R as I prefer a slightly higher seat position and mid controls. However, I will also want to use it for touring And only occasionally with a pillion. So, will want a passenger seat backrest. Can anyone tell me if these are easily removable or typically stay on once installed. Same question for a small windscreen like the on on the GT. Is this easily removable?

I have had 2 R’s so far. It’s easy to turn it into a tourer. Just have to install the backrest and rack. Also you can put the tail bag on for extra storage. It’s a bit of a pain to put that stuff on and off but once you do it you can take it on and off quickly with some muscle memory . Here are some pictures of my rocket in both modes. I wish I would have kept all my accessories because now I have a Chrome edition R that I need to buy all that stuff for again. The really nice thing about this platform is there is no buyer remorse. If you get an R or GT you can have whatever pieces of each edition you choose to add to your bike. I like the security of knowing I can turn my bike into a tourer for those long trips.

61878008574__6F07BB3A-2BC7-4D87-82A6-9C8C09A7B326.jpeg
IMG_0396.jpeg

I have the R with the backrest and rack and have just decided to leave it on. I also have the small windscreen and a larger windshield that I swap out in winter. Both are easy to install and remove. Added the panniers and heated grips, as well. I often tour with camping gear on board. It's not as accommodating as my Roadster for strapping on gear, but it works just fine.

I have the R with the backrest and rack and have just decided to leave it on. I also have the small windscreen and a larger windshield that I swap out in winter. Both are easy to install and remove. Added the panniers and heated grips, as well. I often tour with camping gear on board. It's not as accommodating as my Roadster for strapping on gear, but it works just fine.
Let's see some pics, Journeyman.
Also, if you are leaving the backrest on, any chance you'd sell the two strips that used to sit in the slots where the backrest now sits?

Hello,
I am looking to purchase a Rocket 3. I a want the R as I prefer a slightly higher seat position and mid controls. However, I will also want to use it for touring And only occasionally with a pillion. So, will want a passenger seat backrest. Can anyone tell me if these are easily removable or typically stay on once installed. Same question for a small windscreen like the on on the GT. Is this easily removable?
Ok. Follow-up question. I am asking because I am likely going to have to order a bike without being to sit on them in a side by side comparison. I now understand the at the GT has forward foot controls but that they can be moved back towards the middle. How does the mid most pegs position if the GT compare with the mid controls of the R? Was wondering if the GT is a decent option.

Let's see some pics, Journeyman.
Also, if you are leaving the backrest on, any chance you'd sell the two strips that used to sit in the slots where the backrest now sits?
I think I'll keep the strips for now- not sure why. I guess let me think on it a bit.
Here's an older photo- I've made some changes since then...
1703986763233.png

Dragon-23.jpg

Tail of the Dragon loaded for camping. This is more recent showing marker lights, mirrors, levers, etc. Traveling lighter here with a smaller one man tent and inflatable camping pad I was trying out for a trek I did in Turkey. Usually. I carry a two man tent, fold up cot and sleeping pad - why suffer :)

Last edited:
Is that an OEM screen? Does it just bolt on and off easily?
Yes- the screen is OEM, but the adjustable brackets are Madstad which I really like. It's just four phillips head screws to remove the screen from the brackets in order to swap out for my larger screen. Here's what the bracket looks like and a link to Madstad's Rocket page. Although I ended up getting a bracket and screen from a member here, when I contacted Madstad before about just buying the bracket they said that you could do that. The large windscreen isn't very sexy, but it does a fair job in winter blocking much of the wind. There are other brands that look better, but that would also fit on the Madstad brackets.
1704025441808.png

Rocket | Madstad Engineering

Ok. Follow-up question. I am asking because I am likely going to have to order a bike without being to sit on them in a side by side comparison. I now understand the at the GT has forward foot controls but that they can be moved back towards the middle. How does the mid most pegs position if the GT compare with the mid controls of the R? Was wondering if the GT is a decent option.
I just went at it from the opposite direction with my 3R, having bought the backrest and heated grips. I like the more upright position. If you can find a sweet deal on a GT and move the controls (cost 🤷🏼‍♂️) you'd end up with a similar bike. Someone can chime in if I'm wrong, but I think once you move the controls the position will be identical to the 3R. Other than that, the seat of the GT is lower (I'm short and shaved down my 3R seat for height and comfort) and then you have the different paint schemes. But, everyone knows that the red bikes are faster :).

Yes- the screen is OEM, but the adjustable brackets are Madstad which I really like. It's just four phillips head screws to remove the screen from the brackets in order to swap out for my larger screen. Here's what the bracket looks like and a link to Madstad's Rocket page. Although I ended up getting a bracket and screen from a member here, when I contacted Madstad before about just buying the bracket they said that you could do that. The large windscreen isn't very sexy, but it does a fair job in winter blocking much of the wind. There are other brands that look better, but that would also fit on the Madstad brackets.
1704025441808.png

Rocket | Madstad Engineering
Apparently Madstad Engineering is now defunct as the domain has expired and their products on 3'rd party websites are either on sale or out of stock.

Last edited:
Back