Question for R3 owners: How big are the R3 Touring saddlebags?

Humbucker

Standard Bore
Hi, new guy here!

I was looking at a Rocket III Touring bike at our local Triumph dealer today and was looking at the hard saddlebags, they seem quite roomy, almost look identical to the ones on the Yamaha Royal Star Venture.

But I happened to stumble onto this here web page:
Saddle Bag Comparisons - LinerWiki

And according to that table, the R3 Touring bags are really small, even smaller then the LeatherLyke bags that I presently have on my Vulcan 1600 Classic. This can't be right, can it it?

I tried to find specs on the storage capacity of the Triumph hardbags but came up with nothing.

Not sure of the rated capacity, but the design with the latches inside the bags steals valuable space. The will not hold a helmet, not even a half helmet (at least in my XL size).

For any serious travel a rack and a tail bag of some sort is a good idea. I store most of my clothes in the tail bag with the cases used for tools,oil,coolant,tire repair, air pump, rain suit, duct tape, zip ties and the like.

Until they come out with a top box/trunk, I'll be doing like GPMAZ.

Dennis

38 dtg Dubai
39 dtg London

136 dtg Dubai
137 dtg Home (Triumphs buying time)

Until they come out with a top box/trunk, I'll be doing like GPMAZ.

Dennis

38 dtg Dubai
39 dtg London

136 dtg Dubai
137 dtg Home (Triumphs buying time)

I put a 12x24 plywood on the luggage rack and sat my huge duffel bag on it with bungee .
I traveled three months all over europe and that bag was big enough, you can see it on pictures I posted . so I guess it is up to each one to figure out the space needed.

Kind of funny that they don't post the storage capacity of their bags, I couldn't find it in Triumph's specs, nor anywhere else.

I just can't believe that they're so much smaller then the Venture's hardbags. On that chart, they claim that the Triumph's hardbags are only 1190 cubic inches each, while the Venture's (which look almost identical to the naked eye) hold 2136 cubic inches each!

Saddle Bag Comparisons - LinerWiki

Since these two bikes are sitting in the same dealership, I'm tempted to try cramming a few items into each of these bikes' saddlebags and see for myself how they compare. This can't be right.

The R3 Touring that they have on display here is a 2010 and it's completely loaded with extras. Light bar, driver backrest, quick disconnect passenger backrest with luggage rack, quick disconnect tall windshield, engine guards, chrome highway pegs, passenger floorboards, chrome rails around saddlebags and also around the rear fender, wheeewwww..............there's a bunch of nice stuff already on this bike and it's priced the same as the standard Touring model, the salesman told me that it's probably a promotional thing and they won't have this stuff on the newer models coming in for 2011, maybe that's just a sales pitch, I'm not sure.

Stunning bike!!! I noticed that the stock seat is veeerrrryyyyy comfortable too and wouldn't need to be replaced with an after-market seat, now that's refreshing!!! I'd love to take one out for a test ride.

Don't know where you live, but the local dealer here has one just as you describe. From what I've been told, its listed at $1000 under invoice. And you're very correct in not trusting the salesman's idea of what Triumph is going to do next year. Somehow I doubt they've called him with a preview of their intentions.

2010 vs 2011

Triumph's website states that the 2011 R3T has the exact same equipment package as the 2010 you saw. It also says the pricing is exactly the same as the 2010. My dealer was going to look for a new 2010 for me , but told me to order a 2011 instead.

There is no rebate from the factory on the 2010 at this time. So... an '11 is a much better buy.

Back