Quarter Mile Times

Don't Believe The Hype

I bought my Rocket III maintly to customise and cruise around . I personally think they look really cool. They certainly make a great tourer as well.

But if you buy one hoping to out-accelerate sports bikes you might be disappointed. It's fast, it pulls hard, but only compared to other cruisers.

But bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, and past a certain point it doesn't even mean faster or more powerful. Sure, the Rocket III makes a lot of torque, but it's very heavy. Virtually twice the weight of most sports bikes.

Along with a few others I raced a GSXR 750 SRAD, in a standard street class. (Standard, with the exception of a race can). We regularly ran low to mid 10 second quarters.

I read a magazine article that put a Rocket III, a Yamaha V-Max, a Harley Davidson V-Rod and a Kawasaki ZX10R up against each other.

The Rocket III was quicker than the V-Rod by a significant margin everywhere, quicker than the V-Max by fractions of a second up to 100mph, and slower than the ZX10R everywhere except 0 to 30mph where it was 0.08 seconds faster

I love my Rocket for what is, and though i'll take it down the strip for a bit of fun on a Run What You Brung, I won't expect to be competetive. Entry level bracket racing in the UK National Series is 10.5 seconds.

Digging round the numbers, the Rocket III is on a par with a good modern 600; nothing wrong with that, but it does put the hype into context.

The guys that race the Rocket usually are not stock!!!

Personally I love the power my beast produces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not bad for a Bagger

The guys that race the Rocket usually are not stock!!!

Personally I love the power my beast produces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not bad for a Bagger

Warp have you run that at a track yet? I'll bet you don't have my problem of loosing pull over 100mph. I'd be curious to know if it does much better than a limits removed, tuned up version like mine up to 1/8th mile, and how much more pull it has past that.

I bought my Rocket III maintly to customise and cruise around . I personally think they look really cool. They certainly make a great tourer as well.

But if you buy one hoping to out-accelerate sports bikes you might be disappointed. It's fast, it pulls hard, but only compared to other cruisers.

But bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, and past a certain point it doesn't even mean faster or more powerful. Sure, the Rocket III makes a lot of torque, but it's very heavy. Virtually twice the weight of most sports bikes.

Along with a few others I raced a GSXR 750 SRAD, in a standard street class. (Standard, with the exception of a race can). We regularly ran low to mid 10 second quarters.

I read a magazine article that put a Rocket III, a Yamaha V-Max, a Harley Davidson V-Rod and a Kawasaki ZX10R up against each other.

The Rocket III was quicker than the V-Rod by a significant margin everywhere, quicker than the V-Max by fractions of a second up to 100mph, and slower than the ZX10R everywhere except 0 to 30mph where it was 0.08 seconds faster

I love my Rocket for what is, and though i'll take it down the strip for a bit of fun on a Run What You Brung, I won't expect to be competetive. Entry level bracket racing in the UK National Series is 10.5 seconds.

Digging round the numbers, the Rocket III is on a par with a good modern 600; nothing wrong with that, but it does put the hype into context.
Do you have a standard or touring? I saw a vid on utube with an old man (like me) and a kid on a 1000cc sport bike racing. The old guy was bragging about how powerful his Rocket was and the kid of course wanted to race. Well, the Rocket didn't fare well and they were laughing at him.
But it was a fully dressed Touring bike!, and stock with a old fat guy riding to boot.
Unless you get rid of the 1-3 gear crippling, and it's a reduced power Touring model ... They will be slow when drag raced!

Warp have you run that at a track yet? I'll bet you don't have my problem of loosing pull over 100mph. I'd be curious to know if it does much better than a limits removed, tuned up version like mine up to 1/8th mile, and how much more pull it has past that.

I have not raced much and fall in the catagory of inexperienced.
My only advantage is when the blower spools up. as for loosing pull I have not noticed much loss in pull till after 160 I am sure this beast will lay a great time down especially if it had a good pilot:D
But alas most of the sport bikes I run into that want to spunk around are usually on the highway and at 60 + MPH Don't get me wrong the boost level is good at them speeds and only gets better with the twist of the wrist.

Personally I would rather people think I have a slow Bagger:eek:
especially if they are cops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh and your right if Dyna does not have a tune boy well he has not felt the torque yet.
**** wait till them fellers run into one of Carpenter racing's sleeper's

Last edited:
Hellfire,... So, you don't use the clutch after launch? Do you bump the throttle when changing gears or stay on the throttle? I've been wondering about this cuz wanted to go to the track too.
Nev cams, Jardines, big pods, no secondaries, PC3, and anxious to know what she can do.

Stripes, where did you end up with HP and TQ numbers after the cams?

Do you have a standard or touring? I saw a vid on utube with an old man (like me) and a kid on a 1000cc sport bike racing. The old guy was bragging about how powerful his Rocket was and the kid of course wanted to race. Well, the Rocket didn't fare well and they were laughing at him.
But it was a fully dressed Touring bike!, and stock with a old fat guy riding to boot.
Unless you get rid of the 1-3 gear crippling, and it's a reduced power Touring model ... They will be slow when drag raced!

I have a standard with a full size triumph screen and triumph leather paniers. After Christmas i'm gonna cut back the fenders and black powder coat some of the chrome. Thanks to your posts especially Hellfire i'm gonna fit tripple K&N's, cut the bear claw and replace the standard pipes. Power commanders seem to be more popular over here in the UK. I was looking at the Zard pipes but cant get any feed back about them let alone a tune.

If you do a PCIII, triple K&N's, remove the secondaries and upgrade the exhaust, you can have a paper copy of my dyno tune chart and just type the numbers in the boxes.

If you do a PCIII, triple K&N's, remove the secondaries and upgrade the exhaust, you can have a paper copy of my dyno tune chart and just type the numbers in the boxes.

Thanks Hellfire, the dyno tune chart would be much appreciated. I'm bidding on a PC111 on ebay.

Entry level bracket racing in the UK National Series is 10.5 seconds.
Dyna, is drag racing in the UK done in 1/4 MILE, 1/8 MILE, 1000 FOOT or a Metric equivalent? It just occured to me that you guys are Kilometers, do you still keep the old system alive for racing?

Back