Performance - diy pipes vs pro's

I've heard that the most important piece of that simple looking puzzle is the part that connects the oval exhaust ports to the header was designed by a high tech computer program for optimum flow, then cut on a CNC machine.

Then Duplicated by me with out any CNC Machinery :D

IMG_20150531_113953.jpg

There's a lot of science, and even more art, to designing exhaust, and a lot of trial and error, too. Unless you are building a drag bike, needing maximum power, though, many have made their own.

You know, I was thinking after I posted that photo, .... if I had have had a naked Woman in the back ground when looking through that tube, sure she would be out of focus (as the back ground is) but no one would have noticed that seam :D

I think we should try that and see. I'm sure most forum members would vote.

Fabrication and materials are just a small part of the cost of building a set of headers.
Much greater time and brain power is necessary as well. knowledge of several formulas, understanding of valve timing and overlap all should be taken into consideration. Further complicating all that is to then try best as possible to design the system so it fits on an into the bike providing adequate legroom without compromising performance too much.
If the best performance possible is your aim, best leave it to the professionals.

I'm really wanting something like the carpenter street rod pipes, but ****, at $1600 what is so special about them? I have have half the mind to spend $500 on a okayish welder and make my own. Is there something we don't know that makes these things so pricey? Does anyone have any experience making there own? Is there any real performance difference between homemade and what the pros do?

I’ll try and answer questions as you asked them:

The something you don’t know about what makes them so expensive is R&D. Carpenter pipes make the most power, period point blank. They will make more than CES, Rebamd, etc. They are a no compromises max power pipe, loud, hot, pricey. If you want ALL the power the R3 has to offer, get the Carp pipe. NOTE: I am not saying it’s the best pipe, but it does make the most WHP.

Many have made their own, haven’t yet seen a dyno of a set though. Any three tubes will get the job done, but there is at least a 50WHP range of power derived from just the header, get it wrong and you get 11X hp get it right and you can touch 170WHP.

Yes, a massive performance difference, but not just power. Longevity, rust resistance, clearance between your leg and the pipe, and weight. While I too balked at the price of R3 headers, you absolutely get what you pay for, with probably the only exception being Paul, who has a great price for some great craftsmanship (probably the best built set available).

You do you, for $500 and some time researching primary length, stepped vs non stepped, collector type, secondary length, muffler type and length you may end up with a great set of pipes....or a dud. That’s what you get for ~1500, insurance your headers are both functional and beautiful.

@Paul Bryant
I reckoned you might appreciate this.
Many folks do not understand the work that goes into original design and fit work.
Then one must consider that these products are not mass produced and they have a limited demand.
IMHO - the custom headers produced by yourself & CES are quality, state of the art, products that are made for function, fit AND looks!

Back