Loud Pipes Save Lives - Survey Says...

Not sure I fully agree with the conclusion (or like obnoxiously loud pipes either), but here's the story....

It's funny I was just thinking about this while reading about the new te1
Project-Triumph-TE1---Phase-2---Carousel-6---600x338.jpg

That's TE1 has .....The motor produces 130kW or almost 180 horsepower, but weighs only 10 kilograms, much lighter than existing technology and clearly a small fraction of the mass of traditional internal combustion engines.” said Andrew Cross, Chief Technical Officer at Integral Powertrain Ltd.

But ur gonna sound like George Jetson going down the road

I agree with some of the article. You do not and can not hear a motorcycle approaching from the rear at a speed from 45 on up. I don't care how loud the pipes are you won't hear it with the windows up and radio on. With windows down then possibly yes when they get close enough behind. As far as wild life yes, it will hear you approaching because it's stationary and could save your life because you caused them to move before you were upon them. On the other hand the loud exhaust could spook them and cause them to act irrational to get away from the noise. I had 3 HD's with very loud and obnoxious pipes (kind of embarrassed to say) and freeway drivers never saw or heard me until I was passing them and I would see their car swerve a little because I scared them. With the loud pipes I knew when passing do it fast because when beside the car the driver would then hear the exhaust and suddenly react. It became a game with me actually. If everyone is stationary such as in town slowing for traffic lights and heavy traffic then everyone can hear your bike so they are aware of you but at highway or freeway speeds then no, they are oblivious to you behind them. Only my opinion and what happened to me. Cheers.

Maybe it's because I'm a rider but I can " feel" the pipes of a bike such as ur HDs and will actively try to locate the bike so I known where they are. I drive with the radio on fairly loud parkway drive kinda stuff 🤘 and I feel like I can hear bikes fine.

Simple fix..... everyone has to ride a motorcycle during the riding season. BOOM! Less accidents and a better appreciation for the riders out there!! World would be a better place if everyone owned a bike 🏍😉😀🙂😎👍

I agree with some of the article. You do not and can not hear a motorcycle approaching from the rear at a speed from 45 on up. I don't care how loud the pipes are you won't hear it with the windows up and radio on. With windows down then possibly yes when they get close enough behind. As far as wild life yes, it will hear you approaching because it's stationary and could save your life because you caused them to move before you were upon them. On the other hand the loud exhaust could spook them and cause them to act irrational to get away from the noise. I had 3 HD's with very loud and obnoxious pipes (kind of embarrassed to say) and freeway drivers never saw or heard me until I was passing them and I would see their car swerve a little because I scared them. With the loud pipes I knew when passing do it fast because when beside the car the driver would then hear the exhaust and suddenly react. It became a game with me actually. If everyone is stationary such as in town slowing for traffic lights and heavy traffic then everyone can hear your bike so they are aware of you but at highway or freeway speeds then no, they are oblivious to you behind them. Only my opinion and what happened to me. Cheers.
Exactly, it's all about perspective and, honestly, the answer you're looking for (like how the media can spin a story in the favor they want it to go). For those in the "they do not save lives" camp, there are plenty of examples where they are correct. For those in the "they do save lives" camp... again, plenty of examples where they are correct. In my experience, on the Freeway... it doesn't make much of a difference until you pass...which means no difference. In residential areas and school zones... it has made an important difference in my world with kids running around. I don't have obnoxiously loud pipes but my D&D slip-on's give me more effective presence... I let me wife be obnoxious on her Fat Boy. :ninja:

As a father of 3 and grandpa of 5, maybe the question is... who's life are you saving?
-MIG

The only reaction that I have notice to loud pipes from people driving their cars is that they turn up their radios as not to hear the loud pipes . I've even installed a Stiebel Horn & notice that it eithers scarces people stiff or they just look around to see where the noise is coming from & keep on doing whatever they were being honked at to begin with . Best remedy , is be vigilant & keep your eyes open .

If all you are relying on is loud pipes, you're in trouble. As far as I am concerned, being visible and predictable is far more important.
Just to weigh in on the loudness factor...I have lost count as to how many times I have been surprised by a bike suddenly lane filtering (at standstill) next to me...so I would have to agree that it's a myth.

I'm not a fan of overly loud pipes, but my CES exhaust will roar out when you hit it hard. Many times I've used the throttle with clutch in like a horn and it has gotten attention, but not on the Interstate where I do my least riding anyway. I think it's partly true.

I also wear Hi-Viz and have auxillary lighting and agree with the importance of being seen.

Back