Might be Ok for some, but I'd rather throw the old mess away than slop around in used engine oil any more than necessary.

Might be Ok for some, but I'd rather throw the old mess away than slop around in used engine oil any more than necessary.

overall advantage is that like we do on radial engines on airplanes unlike throways we disassemble the scott filter then fill the canister filter with gasoline shake it and pour the gasoline through a fine cloth after several refill you can see then on the cloth whether you will have an issue later on with the kind of metal particles left on the residual crud and that alone is worth some consideration . prevention is worth the trouble of messing with the old oil we always did it on airplanes and it paid big dividends ...my 2cts should mention we run a magnet over the crud and whatever stick to the magnet we look at very seriously

i like the idea of reusable oil filter, hell some 6 cylinder airplanes use them 470 cubic inches. i dont see wy our rockets cant it just depends on how fine the mesh is. i wonder if the rocket has a bipass mode like some engines at high rpm or at certain pressure it does not filter?

As a flying passenger, I'm glad you guys are that meticulous....

If my Rocket cruised at 30,000 ft I'd probably do the same, but an oil sample analysis might be more useful for us earthbound mortals.

Not for me, but I see that some will find it valuable.

As a flying passenger, I'm glad you guys are that meticulous....

If my Rocket cruised at 30,000 ft I'd probably do the same, but an oil sample analysis might be more useful for us earthbound mortals.

Not for me, but I see that some will find it valuable.

a turbofan needs hardly any oil but a radial engine well the R2300 has a 25gls tank just for oil .

and let me say that no radial engine (except some fighter planes of world war II has ever
gone to 30 000 feet )
but there is so much metal to metal friction in a recip engine be it radial or inline that eventually some metal to metal friction will cause some slivers to find its way in the oil and then get caught in the filter if said filter is thrown out you would never know what is there but if you see the stuff in the cloth and you can pick it up with a magnet you have been warned and you will save yourself mucho mulla down the road. never fails I did that on my harley with a reuseable scott filter and once save me a bunch of $$$

Bosch Filter

Both Advanced Auto and Auto Zone carry the Bosch 3300 filter and it will fit the Rocket III and the Bonneville T100 too. Very good filter for around $6.00

Back