Oil change - that old chestnut again

I am shocked! I have always heard the phrase of "mind your Ps and Qs" came from the UK.

-Mind your pints and quarts. This is suggested as deriving from the practice of chalking up a tally of drinks in English pubs (on the slate). Publicans had to make sure to mark up the quart drinks as distinct from the pint drinks.-

From what I understand, Quarts are for the men...

I was always taught it was to have good manners or behave, as in "mind your pleases and thank yous", Ps andQs.

I prefer your explanation and know a quart is two pints, as in quarter of a gallon but our gallons are bigger than yours :thumbsup: So I still dont have a baldy what a quart is in America, but it's full of the right oil now so who cares? :)

Thank you! As I mind my Ps andQs :rolleyes:

The Mobile One Turbo diesel oil was recommended to me by someone who uses it in his Carpenter and stock Rocket. If I encounter any issues I will be sure to report them here.

I was always taught it was to have good manners or behave, as in "mind your pleases and thank yous", Ps andQs.

I prefer your explanation and know a quart is two pints, as in quarter of a gallon but our gallons are bigger than yours :thumbsup: So I still dont have a baldy what a quart is in America, but it's full of the right oil now so who cares? :)

Thank you! As I mind my Ps andQs :rolleyes:
US quarts, and gallons are only about 80 percent of a real gallon.

Scott, which Redline oil did you use?
I liked the Amsoil stuff since its cheap and readily available. You saying the Amsoil diesel and marine is woodpile use only?

I havent tried the Motul stuff since id have to order it.
No I'm not kicking it but since there is also premium motorcycle oil I'll use it. Its kind of like the dark side people swear by it riggt or wrong. I'm using redline 20W50 don't ride in the winter unless its down south. That or motul oil 300V is great but has no cleaners therefore seems slicker but does not last as long. Say 3000 miles. I chang the redline somewhere between 4000 and 5000 depending on how hard I run her or a about to run her hard like maggie valley. I'll drop the 100 bucks on a change verses pushing her hard when its close to change time anyway. Good oil is cheaper then good engine parts.

No I'm not kicking it but since there is also premium motorcycle oil I'll use it. Its kind of like the dark side people swear by it riggt or wrong. I'm using redline 20W50 don't ride in the winter unless its down south. That or motul oil 300V is great but has no cleaners therefore seems slicker but does not last as long. Say 3000 miles. I chang the redline somewhere between 4000 and 5000 depending on how hard I run her or a about to run her hard like maggie valley. I'll drop the 100 bucks on a change verses pushing her hard when its close to change time anyway. Good oil is cheaper then good engine parts.

You can get the Motul for about the same price as Redline. I'm running the 300V now, but don't like the short change time and will either go to Motul 5100 4T 10W-40 next time or try the Redline- I know that they make good stuff. @warp9.9 where do you get your Redline?

You can get the Motul for about the same price as Redline. I'm running the 300V now, but don't like the short change time and will either go to Motul 5100 4T 10W-40 next time or try the Redline- I know that they make good stuff. @warp9.9 where do you get your Redline?
The 5100 is a semi synthetic, you might try the Motul 7100 15W50 4T

The 5100 is a semi synthetic, you might try the Motul 7100 15W50 4T

That's the one I meant to say (fully synthetic)- I've used it and the 5100 in a BMW 1200RT (a fine machine) before I switched to the Rocket- no regrets, btw, on that switch!

Do you have a good price on Red Line somewhere other than Amazon? I do use their ATF for my RV transmission based on glowing reviews.

That's the one I meant to say (fully synthetic)- I've used it and the 5100 in a BMW 1200RT (a fine machine) before I switched to the Rocket- no regrets, btw, on that switch!

Do you have a good price on Red Line somewhere other than Amazon? I do use their ATF for my RV transmission based on glowing reviews.
I've been paying the same 16 bucks a quart. Only been able to ride 2 miles and buy it off the shelf with a 10% military discount. I see amazon has a great case price at 140 a case. Heck thats about 11.67 a quart. If when I get back to Virginia I'm going to see if cycle gear wants to match the price or do they want me to buy elsewhere :) oh and if they had the 300v15W50 or the 7100 on the shelf I'd be using it. But alas I am forced to buy american made :)

The biggest issue is the friction modifiers that are put in automobile oils. In a car the engine oil lubricates only the engine. In a motorcycle the oil is shared by the engine and transmission, including the clutch. The friction modifiers in auto oil can actually clog the fibers of your clutch friction plates and cause slipping. Because the friction modifiers have been decreased or eliminated from motorcycle oils and replaced with phosphorus as an anti-wear additive it also costs more. YMMV

bob
I know synthetic is the norm on these bikes. I have no intention of debating that but every single motorcycle I have ever owned over the last 40 years has ran car oil, no problems. I have been running it in my roadstar since 1999. No issues at all. My old Suzuki GS1150 made 135 hp at the wheel. I ran Castrol gtx in it and not once did that clutch ever slip.

Back