REPLACE RELAY!!!
time will tell if it is ok

This is how things looked when I pulled the cover. Not that bad, right?
DSC_0355.jpg

I cleaned it as best I could, leaving the blades alone because I didn't have any dielectric grease here at the house, plugged it back in and as I said before, WALA.

DSC_0358.jpg

So I put everything back together that I'd taken apart, loaded up the bags and grabbed a helmet and.......... it didn't start. Pulled the cover, unplugged the relay then plugged it back in, and it started. Put the cover back on, Ride ON. Had more stuff including a tube of dielectric grease at the airport so I cleaned it up for real there, and packed it good with grease. It did not fail again, and there were 4 more opportunities to do so before I put it away for the day just a bit ago, so I'm hoping it will continue to work until I can get the new part in. Hopefully not too much $$! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. So relieved I did not have to haul it to the dealer for this! Needed to ride today............

There r points inside the relay that makes contact one set works the relay if that set is working you will feel the relay click the other set of points lets the headlights come on then when u hit the starter button it transfer power to the starter solenoid. (original wiring)
if u have to start in an emergency MAKE SURE IT IS IN NEUTRAL with the key on then u can remove the starter relay and with a piece of wire u can jump across the relay connector u have three blades going the same direction the one in the pic far right.
to the outside blade facing the opposite direction the one in the pic far left
will engage starter.
do not do this if u do not understand the directions

just because it starts when u play with the relay dose not necessary mean that is your prob. u could have probs with the wires or connectors.
but more than likely u have a bad relay.

Jiggled cable going into clutch, nothing. Bike is pretty clean, I can say that. Not sure where the connection is at the other end, I did pull back the cover on a connector that is above the oil tank, 4 wires, it's quite clean and dry and see no problem there. Unfortunately I'm not too bright as far as what is what 'under the hood', maybe if you could describe where you bridged a connection to get a start?
Just slide back the rubber cover on the clutch lever, will not go back far. This cover is closest to the bars and the enclosed wires do a quick turn into the larger loom. There are 2 wires and if you are lucky the ends will be bare enough to bridge with a screwdriver or bit of wire

Just slide back the rubber cover on the clutch lever, will not go back far. This cover is closest to the bars and the enclosed wires do a quick turn into the larger loom. There are 2 wires and if you are lucky the ends will be bare enough to bridge with a screwdriver or bit of wire

Will keep it in mind, for sure. For now at least, cleaning the changeover (starter) relay and packing with dielectric grease has eliminated the problem. I did also pick up a new relay as a back-up. Thanks!

DSC_0357.jpg

i would replace the starter relay (driver side cover the one with the 5 prongs.)
if u have it in neutral and the green light on that would eliminate the kickstand switch.
if the relay is out of its holder then it might be hanging down and be full of water.
if u have tunecu then that should give u info about if the ecu thinks it is in neutral or not.
i am thinking that it gave info on the starter relay but i would not bet money on it.

Back