greenbaron

.060 Over
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket III
Hey all, long time. 2005 RIII when press start button, silence. This was happening intermittently over the past couple years, not often, but it did happen. I would just sit there and keep trying and it would suddenly fire normally. Ended up getting a fresh battery in the bike last year and it didn't happen again. Until recently, and now it is for good apparently. I kept thinking it had to be the start button switch, so took it apart and indeed the contacts were dirty, took a pencil eraser to both ends but no joy. Finally got the multimeter and there is good continuity when the button is depressed, contact is made on the back side of that little white board, so that ain't it. Everything else is normal when I turn the key in the ignition, it goes thru normal start up, horn and lights and blinkers all work, but no sound whatsoever when start button is pressed. So it's the starter? When I think of a starter failing, I think of noises. This one is just quiet. Any ideas are welcome. The kill switch on the left side of the image below works too... I can't afford hauling to the dealer right now, can't get out of there without spending 700$ on a good day, much less walking in there with an undiagnosed issue....
DSC_0354.jpg

i would replace the starter relay (driver side cover the one with the 5 prongs.)
if u have it in neutral and the green light on that would eliminate the kickstand switch.
if the relay is out of its holder then it might be hanging down and be full of water.
if u have tunecu then that should give u info about if the ecu thinks it is in neutral or not.
i am thinking that it gave info on the starter relay but i would not bet money on it.

Clutch safety switch. Got the same prob myself and have heard of others. The connections inside the clutch get wet/corroded and cause the problem. if you jiggle the cable going into the clutch it will start. You can peel the rubber cover back and bridge the wires to get you going, but do not bridge them permanently. I talked to the local Triumph mechanic and he said it is connected through the ECM. I have ordered a new switch and half the block, it is a plug and play fix. Around $200 Au

I gotta pull my clutch switch out and clean it then pack it with dielectric grease to preserve it.

All of the above...

You might want to check the ground wire clamp where it fastens down by the starter. Clean the connector and refasten it to the bike. I have seen some nasty pictures here of a bad connection in that location.

The Rocket III on the roadsters is known to have ignition switch issue on the many of those models. It can't handle the current of those two headlights over time. They need to be off the switch and running through the Eastern Beaver relay setup.

Clutch safety switch. Got the same prob myself and have heard of others. The connections inside the clutch get wet/corroded and cause the problem. if you jiggle the cable going into the clutch it will start. You can peel the rubber cover back and bridge the wires to get you going, but do not bridge them permanently. I talked to the local Triumph mechanic and he said it is connected through the ECM. I have ordered a new switch and half the block, it is a plug and play fix. Around $200 Au

Jiggled cable going into clutch, nothing. Bike is pretty clean, I can say that. Not sure where the connection is at the other end, I did pull back the cover on a connector that is above the oil tank, 4 wires, it's quite clean and dry and see no problem there. Unfortunately I'm not too bright as far as what is what 'under the hood', maybe if you could describe where you bridged a connection to get a start?

All of the above...

You might want to check the ground wire clamp where it fastens down by the starter. Clean the connector and refasten it to the bike. I have seen some nasty pictures here of a bad connection in that location.

The Rocket III on the roadsters is known to have ignition switch issue on the many of those models. It can't handle the current of those two headlights over time. They need to be off the switch and running through the Eastern Beaver relay setup.

mine is first run RIII, before roadster. where is the starter? (scary, I know) Bike is really clean though, in general. I have done a good job in that area. Stays in a garage, etc.

i would replace the starter relay (driver side cover the one with the 5 prongs.)
if u have it in neutral and the green light on that would eliminate the kickstand switch.
if the relay is out of its holder then it might be hanging down and be full of water.
if u have tunecu then that should give u info about if the ecu thinks it is in neutral or not.
i am thinking that it gave info on the starter relay but i would not bet money on it.

Yep, it is in neutral with a green light. Don't have tunecu. where is the starter relay exactly? thanks!

Back