New Rocket Rider needs help understanding the beast

Guess I am lucky. There is a Shell station near my house that has non ethanol gas that I pass constantly. If I have near 100 miles or more on my trip indicator, I go ahead and fill up.

What Fun is that! You Got To Push it To the Limit. LOL

I have three stations within a 15 mile radius that sell non-ethanol and I use it whenever possible. My 05 standard was giving me 38 mpg when I first got it but after K&N's, jardines and a tune it dropped down to 32. When Harley has their open house here in York, pa. I am lucky to get 25. Can you guess why?

I have had the 09 since June second and have managed 36 mpg as my best so far. That was two up and driving conservatively. The 09 has jardines and an under the seat K&N and pc5 tune....156 h.p. at rear wheel. I am happy with that. I didn't buy a rocket for fuel economy but rather to go FAST.

The sportster is now null and void, It's the big bad 103's I'm now going to have fun with. Thar's a new Sheriff in town (pay back's H3LL!).
back.jpg

I find that my Rocket Roadster is most comfortable to ride in my city around 2000rpms, our speed limits are usually between 50-60kph in the suburb/city area. Riding out in the country, I keep it around 2200-2600rpms or so, and with that I have gotten 300 and 350kms per tank. I am sure that if I ignored the low fuel warning, I could probably get it to 400km on the tank but probably would need to walk it to the next gas station.

Over the last 10,000 miles I have averaged just a tad under 36mpg, the best being 39.850 and the worst 30.994. (I am not totally anal retentive, but I do have an app for that.) At 36mpg it is easy to get 200 miles from a tank, although the R3T has a smaller tank so it will be a bit tighter.

Two weeks after purchasing the bike I took it on a road trip to the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway to get used to the beast. I rode back roads all the way, the first fuel stop at around 125 miles I figured 31 mpg stop and start through high population centers. when their was open roads I stayed around 2000 to 2800 rpms. On the Dragon and Skyway I keep the rpm up around 2800 to 4000 ( depending on my focus). At the next fuel stop I figured right at 35 mpg. Is this logical?

That's REALLY lucky! I'd give anything to be able to run straight gas!
Ahhh, there's a clue.. Running ethanol blended fuel will mess with your mileage so I am told, I only ever run straight fuel and have an unrestricted exhaust and air filter system that allows it to breathe properly.

Back