New Cams New Thread

Awesome job man

Thanks, most of the credit goes to Neville :p I need to sort out my ignition PC-V (I think I know the problem) and get back on the dyno after RAA West and spin it to 8500 so I can get my real peak number, in the meantime, 254/188 fully heatsoaked will have to do :)

Last edited:
Thanks, most of the credit goes to Neville :p I need to sort out my ignition (I think I know the problem) and get back on the dyno after RAA West and spin it to 8500 so I can get my real peak number, in the meantime, 254/188 fully heatsoaked will have to do :)
I’m sure you and Neville will get this sorted out no doubt

After sleeping on it and having a think about coil resistances and spark energy, I started thinking other potential problems. R1 coils run in parallel have nearly exactly the same spark energy as the stock coils, and mine test healthy, so there's no fundamental reason they shouldn't work properly. I am also aware there are a number of boosted motors with higher effective compression using the exact setup without issue, so it must be something else.

Coincidentally I had used my POD-300 to datalog a 100% TPS run because I wanted to catch a sample of injector duty cycle and see how close I was to maxing them, this datalog luckily caught evidence of the miss reflected with a fraction of a second in injector duty cycle (bottom graph dashed line) falling off to zero and back up when it should not be doing this. I theorize the observed miss, which isn't visible at every injector duty cycle cut-out, is observed only when the timing of it is "just right". :
Miss Evidence.jpg

So there it is, not a spark issue, a fueling issue! Ordering up a new PC-V soon to swap in and see if it fixes the issue, it's not unheard of that they sometimes fail.

If it doesn't fix it, it at least isolates the problem to the stock sensors or somewhere in the harness.

Last edited:
Well, here's the second to final post for this topic regarding this upgrade, next will be in 10,000 miles.

3500 miles and I've finished the first valve clearance check and chain check...

I lost .02mm clearance on two valves, one intake, one exhaust. Not worth reshimming and still within spec.

Had to give it a tiny bit more tension as the chain stretched a little, like 1/16th of a turn.

Cams have seated nicely to Tappets, no visual wear to Tappets and the cam lobes look great.

All in all, I consider it a success despite the fact the gains didn't materialize on the Dyno as expected. It's much nicer to ride, smooth as silk through Twisties, and still returned better mileage than a stock rocket does.

So well said Speedy!!

If this proves my model accurate I have very good calculators BSFC and BMEP calculated data.

The intent is to get the model as close as possible and use it to specify builds for other bikes in the future, starting with Scar, then a few others who've expressed interest.
Im interested

Back