My Carpenter 240 build

More progress.

Just a few notes. The majority of this engine uses torque angle for the final torque.

Get an assistant (or be young!) Since I had a hard time on the big end seeing the gauge since it was so close to my face.

And before you install the head, check TDC dots.

Also a cut 19mm box end wrench, or a flare nut wrench to remove install the temp bulb in the head.
20190209_163028.jpg
20190210_132606.jpg
20190210_095503.jpg

Jeff,
Please further explain your last pix?
I'm not getting it . . .

Jeff,
Please further explain your last pix?
I'm not getting it . . .
Steve, the camera picks up the torque angle gauge great. My eyes not so much.

If you arent familiar, the head, crank ladder, big end bolts, etc are torqued in stages with a torque wrench, with the final being torque angle not an actual torque using a torque wrench. Hope that makes more sense?!

Steve, the camera picks up the torque angle gauge great. My eyes not so much.

If you arent familiar, the head, crank ladder, big end bolts, etc are torqued in stages with a torque wrench, with the final being torque angle not an actual torque using a torque wrench. Hope that makes more sense?!

So this a torque angle gauge?
I had to look it up. Torque Angle, why it's important.
Boy, am I old - twas no such thingy, as far as I know, in my day!

Its just a way to eliminate drag torque. Crazy thing is I worked on helicopters and jets for over 25 years and never once used torque angle. We would measure drag torque, then add the drag torque to the specified torque to get a final torque , per fastener!

I see you correctly ignored the manual and followed experience, and took the head off with the oil tank still in place.
Just make sure the coolant temp sensor and thermostat are on the head before putting it back on the block :)

I see you correctly ignored the manual and followed experience, and took the head off with the oil tank still in place.
Just make sure the coolant temp sensor and thermostat are on the head before putting it back on the block :)
Lol. Done and done. Heads on with all the sensors. Manuals.....I do t need bo stink8ng manuals!

We use to use an anti friction grease on the head bolts of 8v71's. Latter, before I retired (10 years ago), they were introducing torque angle. Kinda dummy proof I guess. New bolts because of thread stretch

If your curious what the shim under bucket looks like.....everything was in place and clean. Also, I can see some of the value of a shim under, but you still run a risk of spitting a shim if you get valve float. Only this way the shim is trapped by the bucket. I assumed (incorrectly) that the shim had some type of retension?) Also, if anyone needs stock shims, springs, buckets send me a pm. Just pay postage. Those shims are pricey!
20190210_130344.jpg
20190210_130349.jpg

Back