MUFASA is 100% tuned, and the numbers...

We backed off the timing even more than I had it immediately after the baseline pull, to where it’s at in my posted time file. The bike gained power instead of loosing, so it was definitely too far advanced before.

Full disclosure, I do throw in some Torco Accelerator, basically just MMT, at times.

Injectors are being sent off for cleaning, there is a small gremlin that we think is a dirty or partly blocked injector.

Regarding the Texas mile and Boneville, my biggest challenge is going to be transportation to and from. The tech/safety stuff is easy. I’m working that now, to see if I can get some movement support.

@Claviger if you care to come by penticton on you r way south I could lend you my trailer , to store your mad machine it is an enclosed ex two horse trailer with brakes and dual axles you would need a 7 pins adapter and a 2 inch ball to tow though.

So correct me if I'm wrong -

Carpenter fits a "265" kit to Steel's bike

Carpenter fits a "265" kit to Claviger's bike

Steel goes to dyno... bike makes 251 hp and 185 tq

Claviger puts down Carpenter, posts 1000 threads about improvements the bike e.g. boring throttles, decking the head, velocity stacks, different injectors, mapping by MAP, ramair filters etc.... bike makes 251 hp and 189 tq

10 months & another 1000 threads later about more tweaks to improve the 265 Carpenter bike, Claviger's bike makes 253hp and 188 tq

Appreciate the trial & error and trying to learn but it just seems like a lot of wasted time and money..?

Firstly: I'm not in competition with Steel or anyone else's builds, they're all magnificent in their own right. I want, what I want, for my own reasons how I chose to get there is my prerogative. I have a goal in mind and will be happy when I reach it.

Indeed, the expected gains weren't realized unfortunately. Whether that was from what I found going on with my overly tight valve clearances, or the cam is simply holding it back, I don't know at this point. It looks like that range of power is about as good as it gets with our shared head porting, valves, and cams and it shouldn't be a surprise we made similar power with similar engine work.

I will know soon though as the upgrades over the last 8 months have all been health/supporting mods. Doing new cams and other things currently, since I didn't get where I want to be. Engine modification is, and always has been, about finding the next greatest restriction and de-restricting it.

I will point out, look @ torque curves below 5,000 between the charts, you'll start to see some differences.

Regarding Carpenter and putting his shop/work down:
they developed a powerful setup and then did a terrible job of installing it on my motorcycle. No hard feelings here, I just wont be spending more money there, or recommending it for anyone who's not willing/able to rebuild stuff when it breaks on their own.

Waste of money/time, perhaps, but then so is nearly any modification of a functional vehicle if you're a miser.

Last edited:
So correct me if I'm wrong -

Carpenter fits a "265" kit to Steel's bike

Carpenter fits a "265" kit to Claviger's bike

Steel goes to dyno... bike makes 251 hp and 185 tq

Claviger puts down Carpenter, posts 1000 threads about improvements the bike e.g. boring throttles, decking the head, velocity stacks, different injectors, mapping by MAP, ramair filters etc.... bike makes 251 hp and 189 tq

10 months & another 1000 threads later about more tweaks to improve the 265 Carpenter bike, Claviger's bike makes 253hp and 188 tq

Appreciate the trial & error and trying to learn but it just seems like a lot of wasted time and money..?
I’ll say this. Rob enjoys experimenting, yes it costs money. Yes sometimes the experiment only served as a lesson. But some of us actually enjoy wrenching on stuff! And you don’t really learn unless you do it yourself! Anyone can buy a fast bike! But not everyone can make one!

Regarding his feeling toward Carpenter. I am fairly familiar with what he went thru, and I say he’s earned the right and payed the money to voice his opinion.

I had a great experience with Carpenter. And I’ve said as much on this site. Rob didn’t and shared his experience. Isn’t that fair? I enjoy reading the stuff you all do to your bikes!

Back