Lower Timing Chain Blew-up!!!!!!!

Timing Chain Failure???

Wow, this has caused quite the stir. :D

More information on the bike. It is an 05, silver engine, standard, purchased in 7/06. My engine had the paint can sound, however the dealers, let me clarify, dealers that i spoke to about this said it is the engine, cc's and size that produces the sound not a faulty part. Not really talked to a lot of other RIII owners, I couldn't dispute that comment. Well, now that I have had a failure, I don't know if I want a new engine, because I may get the same one back without the fix. So, I am glad that, at this time, it is repairable. I really think that it will run better after the repair than it did b4. Just my thought. I guess I have to have faith in the dealer. At this point, not much choice. I am going to ride it like it is stolen until next July to make sure all is well. For me the downside is the dealer is 425 miles R/T away. He did mention to me that there are other Triumphs that have had the same problem?? I thought he said Thruxton, that he is working on now?? Not sure on that one. He also said that Triumph, or maybe his personal experiences, had never seen this type of failure before on an RIII.??? :confused:

I just hope that my bike is back in two weeks, not two months.... The warranty states that the bike will be back in less than 30 days.

I will see..............:cool:

I will keep everyone updated as this progresses along. The dealer will keep all parts replaced, as I have requested. And I can analyze once I see them. I know valves, head, cam, chain, sprokets,etc will be replaced. I did ask if any damage was done to the piston or walls, he said no! Surprising, since typically when a valve sticks they would or could hit the piston?? My mechanical buddy mentioned that to me. I have never had this engine apart to know, just odd more damage wasn't done to the engine. Must be a pretty tough design. He did mention that the valve stems are made very small to get the horsepower up where it currently is, paraphrasing. Hence, it doesn't take much to bend and fail them.

THE SAGA CONTINUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3ngin33r1 Is exactly right..We have to tell the teacher or the bully will continue to get away with It..REPORT THE PROBLEMS..Bet the output shaft bearing hasen't been reported eather and that could mean someones life...Somewhere here or on the other site Is a poll that shows how many(at least the ones that are members)owners have had problems...Jack

Any damage to the head and it's scrap. Nothing is rebuildable with the head. The guides are cast in so a bent stem and the head goes to the scrap yard. I was always under the impression on multivalve heads, especially on heads that have pistons with valve reliefs in them like the Rocket, any loss of valve train timing results in the valves hitting the crowns at TDC. At least the block is linered though I don't know if it's "O" ring linered or shrink fit.

Right from the beginning I thought it was odd to have a rebuildable block and a throw away head.

I'd like to see those pistons close up and personal.

We ain't heard from our favorite engine rebuilder in a long time. He knows the mill from the inside out.

My philosophy is I'll sell the ***** before I have problems....I hope.

Dealers

(let me clarify, dealers that i spoke to about this said it is the engine, cc's and size that produces the sound not a faulty part. Not really talked to a lot of other RIII)----- See that sh3t..How stupid do these dealers think we are..I wish they would tell me something like that..Record It and send It to Bloor...BJC Wonder why all the BB chevs and Viper engines don't sound like that..

Last edited:
Timing Chain Failure???

Thanks for the positive comments on the dealer. All I have heard is good things about Randy and his crew. I just want this to be over and back on two wheels again. I have a need for speed...........

Back