Lower Timing Chain Blew-up!!!!!!!

register complaint with NHTSA

Great link there 3ngin33r1, I went through the process of registering the complaint about the defective crankshaft sprocket.
I read through various other complaints that they have on file and it seams that with as little as five complaints on a particular issue, they will do an inquiry into a problem.
I would hope that any of you that have the notorious "paint can rattle" or timing chain/sprocket noise, will file a complaint with the provided link above. Thanks to all who have provided input to this issue. Rademis

Scrimping for decreased sales

av8r, I'm with you on the disappointment.

I'm also just shy of going ballistic. (Ooops, I might should not say that, I might be considered unstable and not eligible for 2nd Amendment Rights). What was an expected full resolution on my 07 Tourer is now in it's second full week and likely several more. [delete] I (ya'll as my sources) told 'em what was necessary. And they did it in half measures. Now that they realize, I hope, the extent of injuries they will finally go the full route to wellness. [delete], should have listened the first time! Sometimes it's hard to deal with [delete]...back-sliding, sorry.

Last edited:
In defense of Triumph, they may not know about the issue.

If most of the problems have gone direct to the dealer and the vehicle is out of warranty when it's repaired for this problem, that information will never travel up the chain to where it needs to go and it'll die with the dealer.

If it is under warranty, which is sounds like it is since it's a MY07, then that news most certainly will travel up.

If you're that upset about it and you think it's wrong and should be a recall, file a NHTSA complaint. That will certainly get their attention when more than one of them comes in. Looks like we have two so far, you should be the 3rd. It's not too hard to fill out the form and hit submit, in the end, it'll help all of us.

Well I forgot to add bike information.
7600 miles, Jardines (installed end of August with 1000 miles), Triumph Tune, Same rear tire, it is going to get replaced. All else is stock triumph parts.

Actually there are more details on bike info. that may shed some light on the issues: Year, model (Classic, Tourer, Standard).

Sorry, it's a March '05. That means silver gray engine regardless. Mine's a 07 w/silver grey and it was just shy of exploding.

Last edited:

If most of the problems have gone direct to the dealer and the vehicle is out of warranty when it's repaired for this problem, that information will never travel up the chain to where it needs to go and it'll die with the dealer.

If it is under warranty, which is sounds like it is since it's a MY07, then that news most certainly will travel up.

If you're that upset about it and you think it's wrong and should be a recall, file a NHTSA complaint. That will certainly get their attention when more than one of them comes in. Looks like we have two so far, you should be the 3rd. It's not too hard to fill out the form and hit submit, in the end, it'll help all of us.

I have to jump into this one and say that Triumph knew and has known about the spoke breakage issue on the T100's, Thruxtons and Bonnevilles and to this day has never acknowledged that there is a problem. Somethimes I think Triumph's attitude is 'put your head in the sand and maybe the problem will go away. In as much as the Rock retails for what 2 Bonnie's cost, Triumph better get a bigger hole and way more sand this time.

I've had zero problems with my 07 Classic other than the computer sometimes forgetting where the base line idle is and a 12 minute spanking always fixes the problem but then I don't wup on it either. Other than one foray at warp speed, I've never seen the rev limiter and have no intention to. I'm a firm beliver in if you need to go faster buy a faster bike. I'll never change the exhaust or install a Tune Person or a Power Commandant, that is, unless I see a specific need to, which at this time, I don't. I like riding down the 2 lanes listening to the wind and being able to hear things around me. The blub, blub of the stock pipes is fine. I've heard the argument here that the Tune Person is the way to go, or the Power Comandant or a TTS hair dryer or NOS or whatever. My R3 gets 40.55mpg and I like it that way. Seems as though every modification nets less fuel mileage and less reliability. When I bought the R3 I wanted a comfortable reliable mid range touring bike that didn't smack of Honda Goldbling or a BMW K bike. I wanted styling not of the norm. I got all that and obviously to me, a manufacturer that's having problems with their powertrain. It may be a small percentage of the whole but any percentage is unacceptable plain and simple.

I have 2 bikes registered with Triumph, my 03 T100 and the R3 and I've never, to the best of my knowledge, seen or been notified of any recall either initiated by Triumph or the NHTSA on either bike.

I realize you haven't had your bike very long and are new to this problem but there are more like 100 bikes that have had this happen than 2..A very low percentage of Rocket owners are on these forms and we have no way to find out how many have had this problem. Triumph knows dam well about It..And are the only ones who know the actual numbers..They won't even publish the total amount of rockets produced to keep the owners from getting a percentage on problems..I agree with filing a NHTSA complaint,thats what It took to get harley to fix the old twin cam bearing problems...Later Jack

You're right, I haven't. But this isn't my first picnic either.

You say that 100+ bikes have had this problem, there were a total of ZERO complaints filed with the NHTSA on this.

I don't know anything about the spoke issue other than the complaint with the NHTSA has a total of 6 complaints for it. 6...

this makes me a bit nervous, as i just got mine a week ago, iv got 360 mils and it just seams like there is a bit more noise coming from the engine than there was when i got the bike. may have missed it but dont think so. and ill be asking tomorrow but have you had problems with doing your own maintenance voiding your warranty

nightrocket,

I had always done my own maintenance when I took my bike in for the Rattle and that never was an issue. Triumph did replace my cam chain and sprockets under warranty and the bike has never run better. I still think I was severely overcharged for the other service work done but water under the bridge now. If it helps I will also file with the NHTSA, might help you other guys well out of the warranty period.

You're right, I haven't. But this isn't my first picnic either.

You say that 100+ bikes have had this problem, there were a total of ZERO complaints filed with the NHTSA on this.

I don't know anything about the spoke issue other than the complaint with the NHTSA has a total of 6 complaints for it. 6...

According to what I read here in this thread, SIX (6) should be enough but it apparently it isnt.

Far as I'm concerned ONE is enough. With spoked wheels, a broken spoke, unless you are extremely fortunate is an instant flat tire as the loose nipple and spoke end goes through the tube. Again, I myself hav had no problems with my spokes, even with the added side stress imposed by a sidecar which, negates the warranty.

At least with the Rocket, a bad timing gear just gets more noisy as the chain exceeds the point at which the automatic spring loaded adjuster can remove the slack or in the one case slips off and causes an interference fit between the valves and the piston crown(s) but whether the spokes or the timing chain or the final drive issue, the bottom line is it's unaceptable and it's inexcusable for the company to just ignore the problem and hope it will go away because it won't. To have to turn to a governmental body to resolve a quality issue sucks, plain and simple.

Back