Lower Timing Chain Blew-up!!!!!!!

The keyway in the gear used to waller out. You would know if you valves were bent becuase of the shimming. They would not close if they were bent and the shim gap would be large. I modified my tensioner so it would not ever kick back which has been a problem on some of them plus the 1050 motor also. Hope this helps

Gothlander: I asked about the lower cam chain sprocket as I have read about issues with them. They said all of the sprockets seemed fine when they had it apart. But I will recheck with them again. I made a tape of the noise with the date of that days paper so at least it is recorded. I don't think Triumph will accept that and I will have to get the bike down to the dealer so they can hear it for themselves...again.
Warp9.9: What did you do to modify the tensioner to avoid kick back? I have read aboout putting spacers/shims behind the tensioner to use up space but this seems it may put to much pressure on the rails/guides or at least pressure the engineers at Triumph did not think was necessary. It was my understanding they are designed with a ratchet mechanism so they wouldn't kick back. I always thought the problem was that the tensioner mechanism wasn't beefy enough (the spring that is). It seems like the more miles I put on the new parts the louder it gets (paint can noise). Could this be that the tensioner just hasn't gone to the next adjustment on the ratchet? Again not the best tensioner mechanism in my opinion. Anything else? Thanks to both.

Gothlander: I asked about the lower cam chain sprocket as I have read about issues with them. They said all of the sprockets seemed fine when they had it apart. But I will recheck with them again. I made a tape of the noise with the date of that days paper so at least it is recorded. I don't think Triumph will accept that and I will have to get the bike down to the dealer so they can hear it for themselves...again.
Warp9.9: What did you do to modify the tensioner to avoid kick back? I have read aboout putting spacers/shims behind the tensioner to use up space but this seems it may put to much pressure on the rails/guides or at least pressure the engineers at Triumph did not think was necessary. It was my understanding they are designed with a ratchet mechanism so they wouldn't kick back. I always thought the problem was that the tensioner mechanism wasn't beefy enough (the spring that is). It seems like the more miles I put on the new parts the louder it gets (paint can noise). Could this be that the tensioner just hasn't gone to the next adjustment on the ratchet? Again not the best tensioner mechanism in my opinion. Anything else? Thanks to both.

I replaced the spring guide pin with a anti-kickback stud First below is the OEM

Next is my modification

It is very important to realizse this stud is not used to adjust the tension it is just to keep the tensioner plunger from kicking back alowing slopp in the chain so it can jump timing. If you try to adjust the tension with this stud you will break the guide!!!!

Timing chain issue.

Thanks guys. The dealer watched my You Tube video and certainly heard the noise again. Trying to get to him tomorrow to hear for himself.
Gothlander: Does this lower sprocket issue go into the 2010's?
Warp9.9: Thanks for the lesson on the upgraded tensioner. I am pretty sure Triumph won't opt for that fix but maybe they should take note and design a better one.

Eric

I am approaching 10'000 miles on my 05. no paint can yet is there certain vin numbers effected our am I just lucky do far

I am approaching 10'000 miles on my 05. no paint can yet is there certain vin numbers effected our am I just lucky do far

Mine didn't get noisy until 96,000 klms .. you've still got plenty of miles to go yet mate. Read that not blipping the throttle (Harley style) going down through the gears prolongs cam-chain life.

PS always a good idea to Introduce yourself when joining a Forum mate .. tell the other Members a bit about previous bikes , why you bought a RIII .. obviously avoid anything personal like sexual dysfunctions or perversions ... definitely don't post any photos of girlfriends /wives !!!!!

Back