Lower air deflector install problem

markc

Buckkwheat
Ride
07 r3 classic
Hi,

Just installed the lower air deflectors. I cannot keep the top bracket from hitting the radiator when the front wheel is turned full left or right. I've tried all possible positions of the top bracket. Very poor design! Looking for an answer.

Thanks

MarkC

'Da Fix

The fix is simple but takes a little time. Take the chrome shrouds off the radiator and expose the upper mounting brackets (the ones that mount the radiator to the frame above the engine. Loosen the hex bolts and remove them. Then bend the bracket inward as far as it will go. It will spring back out a little so there is no worry. Then, bolt everything back together. The upper bracket is pretty flexible. As added insurance, angle the deflectors toward the back instead of at right angles to the tire. I had the same problem and that's how I cured it. While you have the shrouds off and the bolts out, put a little dab of blue Threadlocker on all the fasteners before you put it back together to insure you don't loose any as time progresses.

the issues with the lower deflectors, and this is another, was not my experience. You've not put them upside down have you:D

i have the lowers and experienced no issues on my install. And for a cyclops, it came out perfect. I too have mine angled rearward to enable the signal lamps to protrude forward through the holes.

Last edited:
I have seen the light; and the said clamps colliding with the radiator shroud. I was nonobservant and unaware of the nick(s) in the shroud until today. It is where the two piece clamps interlock into one another that is hitting the radiator shroud, right? And I don't have mine on upside down.:D

I have seen the light; and the said clamps colliding with the radiator shroud. I was nonobservant and unaware of the nick(s) in the shroud until today. It is where the two piece clamps interlock into one another that is hitting the radiator shroud, right? And I don't have mine on upside down.:D

Rocky:

There is no 'upside down'. I believe the problem lies in the mounting of the radiator at the factory and the tolerance of the welded bracket as not all Rockets have an interference fit between the clamp bridge and the radiator shell. My fix works fine. You don't have to remove the radiator completely, just the top mount and you can bend it back with your fingers. It's a fairly light gage maetal bracket. I too have a 'tattoo' on each side of the shroud but it don't hit no more. Makes you wonder about Triumph's quality control at the factory.:confused:

Hey it one of those engineering wonders that look good on paper. I too did not notice the clamps hitting till I read this post. Oh well, it is just a tractor its guna get some shelf wear:D

I bought my shroud at the drug store........

Mine were really digging into the shroud, that's why I said, no way and modified the upper mount (with my fingers). I must have tried the clamps at least 30 different angles and none were good until I bent the upper mount.

Now, I'm wondering just how many Captains are having their shrouds compromised (that sounds kinky):D

Mine is just a minor tick and not a crushing gouge, I looked it all over and decided to leave well enough alone. The fact is it's major overkill on the mounting hardware.

Back